YAI is now hiring compassionate and reliable people looking to grow in the field of healthcare and human services. Direct Support Professional (DSP) is an entry-level position working directly with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The role of the DSP is to help people achieve their fullest life possible by assisting them in the areas and activities that prevent them from being self-sufficient, including assisting in emotional support and counseling, crisis intervention, home health care, vocational education, and communal living resources. All job-specific knowledge, strategies, and skills are provided as paid training through YAI's Training and Development Department.
· Thursday – Monday 11:00pm – 7:00am (40hrs in 4 day workweek)
· Monday – Thursday 10:00pm – 8:00am (40hrs in 4 day workweek)
· HS Diploma/GED required; CNA, HHA, or Counselor experience a plus.
· Valid Driver's License required unless applying for an overnight position.
· Fluent English reading, writing, speaking, computer skills necessary to record observations and monitor development.
· Willingness to assist people in achieving their greatest level of independent functioning in the areas of personal grooming and hygiene, budgeting, communication, and socialization.
· Ability to participate in 3-5 weekdays of paid NYS Mandated OPWDD initial training during normal business hours upon hire.
· 100% Employer-paid Medical/ Dental
· Tuition Assistance
· Paid sick and vacation time
· Retirement Plan with matching contributions
· Extensive clinical and practical paid skills training
· Supportive supervision
· Growth-oriented work environment
· Discounts on wireless service, gym memberships, & more
Part Time weekend DSP's can earn up to $600 in additional incentives every 4months and receive up to $1,500 in stay incentives!
Up to $3,000 in stay incentives for Full Time Staff!!
YAI is a leading health and human service agency supporting people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our mission is to help others achieve the fullest life possible by creating new opportunities for living, loving, working, and learning. Founded in 1957 as Young Adult Institute, YAI remains at the forefront of an extraordinary movement aimed at empowering people with disabilities. Today we run over 300 programs and are the largest organization dedicated to the intellectual and developmental disabilities community in the New York Metropolitan area. For more information about the YAI Network, please visit our website www.yai.org.
YAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or status as a Vietnam or disabled veteran. YAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- Bonus pay
To keep our staff and the people we support safe, YAI follows all safety guidelines set forth by OPWDD regulations. All necessary PPE is available.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- One location
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place