Job Posting Title:
Food Prep – Part-time
University Housing and Dining
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
To Be Determined at Offer
Earliest Start Date:
Expected to Continue
UT MAIN CAMPUS
To prepare and assist in the preparation of food and/or routine cleaning and dishwashing or to provide service in a food service facility. Responsible for preparing foods and/or performing cleaning tasks in a kitchen or dining room and for following directions concerning dining room and/or bar duties. Prepares foods for cooking. Cleans and pares vegetables and fruits. Cooks simple foods. Assists in cooking. Serves food at counter and waits tables. Prepares food trays. Sets tables and fills sugar bowls and salt and pepper shakers. Sets up buffet, serves drinks and cleans up bar area. Prepares bar charges or tickets. Informs supervisor of needed supplies. Carries bulk food from storeroom or to serving line. Buses tables. Cleans kitchen equipment. Washes dishes, pots, pans and other cooking equipment. Performs related duties as required.WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to heat and equipment common in a kitchen. When required, ability to lift and balance fifty pound full trays above the shoulder.
- Serve food during the time the dining area is open.
- Accurately identify food items, portion sizes and meal combination packages.
- Customer service and customer interaction; short order and fry cooking, food preparation and serving in work area.
- Receive, respond and follow through with written, oral and verbal instructions from supervisors, co-workers and customers.
- Set up, stock, clean and replenish the serving, dining and production area before and during work hours.
- Complete food temperature logs and waste forms as required.
- Break down and clean work area including equipment.
- Store left over food items from the serving area.
- Assist in vacuuming, dusting, sweeping and mopping work area when dining halls are closed.
- Clean pots, pans, dishes and utensils as need.
- Ability to operate standard cooking machinery and equipment.
- Six months experience preparing and assisting in the preparation of food.
- Six months experience preparing food in high volume commercial establishment.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to receive, respond, and follow through with written and oral University and Housing and Food Service policies, procedures and work related instructions from supervisors, customers, and co-workers.
- Have and maintain a current Serv-Safe Certificate or a current Travis County Food Handlers Card.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer , complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
If hired, you will be required to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form. You will be required to present acceptable and original documents to prove your identity and authorization to work in the United States. Documents need to be presented no later than the third day of employment. Failure to do so will result in loss of employment at the university.
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197.