First Transit, a leader in fixed-route bus services, paratransit, shuttle bus services, and vehicle maintenance services, is now hiring an Entry Level Fleet Technician!
The Fleet Technician I performs routine maintenance and repairs on vehicles (buses, vans, etc.) which includes tire maintenance, fulfilling service calls for repair, conducting visual inspections of vehicles, and related work as assigned under direct supervision. This position handles basic issues and refers more complex issues to higher-level staff. All work is performed with a commitment to safety.
First Transit (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of transportation services, moving more than 350 million passengers annually. First Transit employs more than 19,500 dedicated transit professionals at more than 300 locations in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
First Transit is proud to offer:
- $17.00 – $20.50 Hourly wages based on experience and qualifications + ASE Certifications earn you bonus money!
- Consistent year-round work
- An excellent benefits package with paid holidays & vacation, medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Ongoing training
- Opportunities for advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Entry Level Fleet Mechanic Major Responsibilities:
- Ensure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers by performing repairs with minimal supervision on basic maintenance such as replacement of light bulbs, fuses, lenses, wiper blades, belts, hoses, batteries, checking fluid levels, changing fluids and filters, and lubricating components.
- Assist Tech II or III with preventative maintenance (PMs), safety maintenance inspections, and annual maintenance inspections.
- Assist in accurately diagnosing and performing mechanical repairs including the repair of brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, transmission clutches, and other repairs under direct supervision.
- Maintain records of all maintenance work completed on vehicles including parts and supplies used. Ensure that work orders are completed properly and accurately.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek approval where required.
- Notify supervisor of potentially dangerous equipment and corrective action taken.
- Move vehicles safely between job and work area.
- Assist with road calls and emergency services as necessary.
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies, and procedures.
- Clean vehicles as requested or required.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested or required.
Entry Level Fleet Mechanic Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred; vocational or technical certification in vehicle repair preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- ASE Certification preferred. Must participate in ASE testing program within 1 year (expected to have 1 ASE within 24 months of hire).
- Basic mechanical aptitude and 0-1 years of automotive or diesel repair experience (preferred) or equivalent education and experience.
- Possess basic mechanic hand tools with enough tools to perform job requirements.
- Adhere to standards set by state DOT for motor vehicle inspections and safety standards.
- Basic problem-solving ability.
- Basic computer skills.
- Good customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain an organized shop and clean work environment.
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Making sure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers is required.
- Be subject to a drug test.
Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.