Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking a Paralegal to join our Financial Restructuring practice group that will report directly to assigned attorneys and practice management.
This position will reside in the New York office and will be responsible for supporting the attorneys on the Financial Restructuring team. Paralegals are assigned to work primarily on specific cases/transactions, provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys, and/or to support attorneys whose practice involves specific areas of law. Paralegals are also responsible for monitoring regulations, legal developments and compliance procedures in their area of expertise. Additionally, they may be asked to provide general supervision of Project Assistants and other clerical staff.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Conduct statutory, regulatory or factual research with respect to client matters. Such research might include investigation of federal or state laws and regulations, relevant markets, corporate participants and industry standards and practices.
- Participate in due diligence, privilege and other reviews of client records and files.
- Assist with organization of client materials and attorney work product, including use of databases, imaging systems and other computer-based technology.
- Maintain client, case and/or project records; circulate materials to project team, as needed. Maintain chronological records of project activity.
- Arrange filings, mailings and service list deliveries with appropriate courts, government agencies and other parties.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, draft, edit, cite-check, conform and otherwise assist in the preparation of legal documents.
- Prepare and/oversee preparation of binders of completed transactions.
- Obtain services from outside contractors, including court reporters, research services, exhibit preparation services, filing services and printers. Process billing and disbursement paperwork in connection with those services.
- Act as liaison for the project team with support departments and other offices of the firm, anticipating and assuming responsibility for special staffing needs, such as overtime, clerical and/or notary assistance.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required; professional certification a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and research skills.
- Strong service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned.
- Commitment to professional growth and development.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility