Secondary Teaching/Family/Consumer Science
Livonia Public Schools – Central Office
Livonia Public Schools
IN AND OUT OF DISTRICT
NOTICE OF VACANCY: Family Consumer Science Teacher
Livonia Public Schools is seeking a highly qualified family consumer science teacher who will be able to develop career skills and academic instruction for his/her students. The teacher will identify and implement best practices in instruction and student achievement. The teacher will motivate each student to acquire knowledge in family consumer science related facts and principles, skills in problem solving, and to discover and develop special talents of students in family consumer science fields.
Livonia Public Schools employs approximately 1,900 staff members, serving approximately 14,000 students pre K-post secondary. There are 15 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 3 high schools, 1 career technical center, 1 early childhood center and 1 vocational and transition center in the School District. The annual budget for Livonia Public Schools is $155 million, with a state funding of $8,529 per pupil.
The following is a list of minimum qualifications for this position, any one of which may be waived by the Administration in exercising its prerogative to determine qualifications.
- Valid Secondary Michigan Teaching Certificate with endorsements in KH preferred
- A major in the subject area is strongly preferred, with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- A passionate commitment to improving learning for all students
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal relationships
- Skills in individualizing instruction
- Evidence of ability to establish positive working relationships with all stakeholders
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates a welcoming and positive classroom climate and culture
- Exhibits a commitment to the District’s Shared Vision and Collective Commitments
- Teaches skills and knowledge in one or more courses in child development, parenting, life management and foods.
- Develops lesson plans and organizes class time so that preparation, instruction, practical experience, and clean-up activities can be accomplished within the allotted time
- Demonstrates use of instructional materials, equipment, and processes, using standard or teacher-prepared models or other instructional aids
- Guides students in selection of appropriate elective projects or experiments
- Maintains the proper storage of school-owned property and materials, including food
- Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to equipment as required
- Supports student exploration of skill development and career exploration in related fields
- Establishes and maintains standards of student conduct needed to provide an orderly, safe, and productive environment in an activity-type classroom with potential hazards
- Keeps informed of the family consumer science community’s job entry requirements and instructs student in the rudiments of getting and retaining these jobs
- Selects and requisitions instructional aids and equipment; maintains required inventory records; makes purchases as authorized
- Maintains professional competence through in-service training
- Communicates with parents and counselors on the individual progress of the students
- Executes other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The work year, salary, and fringe benefits will be consistent with the current agreement between the Board of Education and the Livonia Education Association. The deadline for applications is 4:00 pm on Monday, January 25, 2021. This position will remain open until the position is filled.
All applicants, including current LPS employees, must complete and submit an application through Applitrack which can be accessed through the Livonia Public Schools webpage. All applicants must also upload a cover letter, professional resume, copies of educational documents (transcripts/certificates), and three current letters of recommendation to their online application.
The Livonia Public Schools School District prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or transgender status), national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, handicap, or disability in any of its educational programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or transgender status), national origin, age, height, weight, and marital status-Director of Human Resources, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2521. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on handicap or disability-Director of Student Services, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2524.