The Event Director will assess and conceptualize clients’ needs and desires for a variety of events and oversee all arrangements necessary to help execute the client’s desired vision and goal. The Event Director will report to the CYC Events Personnel Committee and report and CYC Partners Board of Directors.
Hires, trains, manages, and schedules event volunteers and support staff as approved by the Personnel Committee.
- Manages all administrative duties and details including financial operations, distribution of promotional materials, managing the building and property along with responding to inquiries.
- Establish and/or maintain email account(s), phone service, website and social media presence.
- Includes, establishing and/or maintaining a marketing program with a formal budget. Utilizing Charlevoix Yacht Club, Chamber of Commerce’s, local publications, social media, etc.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with vendors and third party contractors and does research to make formal recommendations to CYC Partners of who to engage.
- Ensures that events and facility meet legal, safety, and health requirements and regulations; obtains necessary permits from fire and health departments. Ensure that the building and property are well maintained.
Drafts policies & procedures for approval by the Personnel Committee or CYC Partners. Once approved maintains policies & procedures so that they stay current. Establish and maintain current lists of available venue(s) and services, and pricing options.
Establish a budget for income and spending and operate within the spending authority granted by CYC Partners
Maintain an accurate accounting of monthly income and expenses and present a monthly report of all activities including recommended changes to the facilities, agreements pr other operating issues to the CYC Partners Board of Directors.
Renting Event Space/Venue
- Implement and maintain a registration process for event participants and maintain a list for future rentals.
- Compiles price lists and negotiates competitive contracts for services, dates, times, and space(s).
- Consults with clients and wedding planner to assess and understand their needs for a smooth execution of the event. Provides the space in a clean and orderly manner as agreed upon with the client and/or planner. Areas of discussion and consultation include staffing, meeting rooms, catering, signage, programs, music, security, display areas, and other specialized requirements.
- This position does not involve planning the actual event, but rather renting out the space.
- Coordinates with others when appropriate to plan and develop event schedule.
- Maintains a photo library of progress, renderings and plans of the facility.
- Maintains current knowledge of event planning standards and trends by attending seminars, consulting with other professionals, and reading trade publications.
- Develop and maintain a client feedback process. Summarize and include the results in the monthly report to the CYC Events Personnel Committee.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Accounting Skills
- Professional demeanor along with being clean and neat in appearance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Creative and effective problem‐solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to respond to problems and to assist clients with a calm, courteous, and helpful manner and attitude.
- Thorough understanding of legal regulations and permits required for events.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality, Meeting, and Event Planning or related field required.
- At least two years of experience in customer service, retail, event planning, or a related field.
- Must be committed to working weekends and all of Peak Season (April – September).
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time during events.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at times.
- Must be able to work a variety of hours in order to accommodate events.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 per year
- Commission pay
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Customer service: 2 years (Required)
- Events management: 2 years (Required)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place