Job Summary: An informal educator with environmental education experience and a love for the outdoors will assist in the implementation and delivery of science-based programs, including field trips, camps and activities for pre-k through adult participants.
Details: This position is classified as a permanent part-time (20-30 hours/week), non-exempt position. And may include evening and weekend hours. Must work outdoors in all weather conditions and routinely lift up to 40 pounds. Reports to Environmental Education Coordinator.
Position Availability: Position open until filled. Preferred start no later than March 1.
Responsibilities may include:
- Teach and lead hikes, field trips, classes, and summer camps
- Assist in coordinating, developing, and delivering programming to our participants
- Assist Therapeutic Horticulture Program Manager with adult education and garden activities as needed
- Help prepare and facilitate events and workshops
- Help develop education marketing materials and educational content for our education spaces
- Participate in outreach events to recruit new participants; i.e.: outreach events and expos.
- Assist and help with animal care, cleaning and maintenance of resource tools, and education teaching areas (including gardens)
Attend staff meetings and participate in other staff activities.
During Garden special events such as Heritage Day, Holiday Lights, etc., additional hours will be required. This includes weekends and evenings.
Other duties as assigned by the EE Coordinator/Director of Marketing and Events
Qualifications: Have an AA/AS degree or higher, from an accredited institution or equivalent experience, with focus on environmental education, botany, or related fields (Bachelors preferred). Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent interpersonal and communication abilities, and the ability to deal effectively with the public. Experience leading school aged children and adults in educational activities is required. Flexibility, an energetic nature and knowledge of the natural resources and environmental issues relevant to the Sandhills region is desired. A willingness to complete the NC EE Certification is required. Knowledge of computer programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and social media is required. Applicants being considered will submit to a background check.
To Apply: Please complete a Cape Fear Botanical Garden application (available on-line at www.capefearbg.org/about-us/) along with résumé, three references and a cover letter and submit by email to education @capefearbg.org. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Part-time
Overtime often available: