If you are passionate about public health & safety and want a career that allows you to work towards improving the health of all Pennsylvanians, this position as an Environmental Health Specialist may be just what you’re looking for!
IMPORTANT: YOU MUST APPLY TO THIS VACANCY POSTING, MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS, COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE A SCORE. YOUR SCORE IS ONLY VALID FOR THIS SPECIFIC VACANCY. ONCE THIS POSITION IS FILLED, YOUR SCORE IS NO LONGER VALID.
- Full-time employment
- Work Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm with a 30 minute lunch period
- Consideration of home headquarters for this position could be in either Westmoreland County at 233 W. Otterman Street, Greensburg, PA 15601 or in Butler County at 100 Brugh Avenue, Butler, PA 16001.
This position entails technical and consultative work in the field of environmental health providing investigatory, epidemiological, consultative and advisory services.
Part of the Bureau of Community Health System’s Environmental Health program (Southwest District) – which includes but is not limited to the organized camp program, local health program, right-to know program (R-2-K), collaboration on the public bathing place program, and emergency response team member – this position services the counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland.
Duties include monitoring health status and identifying community health problems, diagnosing and investigating health problems and hazards in communities, developing policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts; enforcing laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety, and researching for new insights and new innovative solutions to health problems.
- Must meet PA residency requirement – For more information on ways to meet PA residency requirements, follow the link and click on Residency
- Minimum Experience and Training Requirements: Two years of professional environmental protection or environmental health program experience; and a bachelors’s degree in a natural, physical, chemical, or biological science, or a closely related field; OR an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Must be able to perform essential job functions
Veterans: Pennsylvania law (51 Pa. C.S. §7103) provides employment preference for qualified veterans for appointment to many state and local government jobs. To learn more about employment preferences for veterans, go to www.employment.pa.gov/Additional%20Info/Pages/default.aspx and click the Veterans’ Preference tab or contact us at [email protected]
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS): 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to be an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity.