Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits, education assistance and much more including:
- Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent Care & Medical Care)
Balfour Beatty Infrastructure is seeking a qualified Safety Health & Environmental Representative to join our team in San Mateo, California. If you have a passion for what you do, a strong drive to achieve results, the ability to solve problems creatively, and a dedication to client service and relationship management, come join us.
As a member of the loss prevention team, this position is responsible for the implementation of the company s safety and loss prevention programs. Ensures jobsite employees and subcontractors are trained in all safety programs and protocol, including federal/state regulations, in order to prevent accidents and/or injuries. Manages and mentors Loss Prevention Coordinators and Loss Prevention Managers.
Loss Prevention Responsibilities
- Conducts new employee project orientation and basic training with Balfour Beatty and subcontractor employees.
- Assists Loss Prevention and Operations in preparing safety related bid documents and project-specific safety programs.
- Coordinates all Loss Prevention efforts on the project with the Project Manager and Superintendent.
- Attends subcontractor preconstruction meetings, review task specific Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs) and assist with planning for safety issues.
- Assists with material and equipment acquisition for new project setup.
- Conducts frequent inspections of projects and identifies current and future safety challenges.
- Assists Loss Prevention in establishing and administering project safety recognition programs.
- Prepares written reports of project inspections and assists project staff with correcting and preventing hazards.
- Conducts project loss prevention audits.
- Provides technical safety consulting services for projects and reviews preconstruction safety submittals.
- Leads Loss Prevention and project staff with safety training at all levels.
- Assists with establishing and maintaining a project crisis management plan.
- Conducts accident investigations and assists with OSHA and environmental inspections.
- Manages workers compensation claims including the return to work program.
- Maintains project incident logs for all reported injuries, GL claims, WC claims, and OSHA recordable.
- Assists Superintendent with sediment and erosion control and other environmental responsibilities to manage Hazardous Materials Storage areas, Fugitive Dust, Cal EPA requirements and more.
Promote Customer Relations
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer s expectations.
- Actively participates in industry, client and community relations to enhance company image. Culture, Leadership and Employee Development
- Promotes our Creed. Communicates our vision and purpose through Service, Talent & Choices.
- Serves as a role model and promotes professional behavior.
- Participates in company training programs and commits to self-development.
- Keeps current with new developments in OSHA regulations and company safety policies, and communicates to the appropriate jobsite personnel.
- Encourages employees to achieve career goals by providing challenging assignments, achievable and motivational development plans, and ongoing actionable and candid feedback.
- Negotiates skillfully in tough situations with internal and external parties by winning concessions without damaging relationships and being direct and diplomatic.
- Assists in developing/facilitating safety-related company training programs. Embrace key BBC-wide initiatives, like Zero Harm, Sustainability, and core Values and does one s part to demonstrate relentless behaviors and embeds them into our culture.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience, overseeing multiple areas, preferably in the construction industry.
- Valid driver s license
- Ability to work flexible work shifts, i.e., nights, weekends
- Proficiency using a personal computer (PC) and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- B.S. in Safety & Environmental Health or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to assist with more than one project at a time.
- Demonstrates accurate record keeping skills.
- Demonstrates solid customer service skills and verbal/written skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to be a team player and function in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to mentor/train others.
- Demonstrates leadership skills with ability and willingness to face challenges, solve problems, and motivate others, while maintaining effective relationships with customers by meeting or exceeding their requirements and expectations.
The majority of work is completed on job sites in an office trailer or in an existing structure. Due to daily condition changes on construction projects, when employees are outside of the office trailer or structure, they must wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by the company’s safety policies and as required for weather conditions. The project team and/or team member may need to move to other projected work geographic locations, if necessary.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.