The English Learner Outreach Advisor will coordinate intentional and strategic recruiting and outreach to immigrants and ESL populations in the PSC district. This is a one-year, non-teaching, grant-funded position.
Reporting and Supervisory Relationships Essential Responsibilities
1. Make presentations and hold one-on- one conversations throughout the PSC district
2. Assist new students with the enrollment process.
3. Collaborate with other college staff to share knowledge and avoid duplication of services.
4. Create and maintain a web and social media presence.
5. Establish a welcoming and supportive environment for immigrant students at the college.
6. Performs other duties as assigned for the betterment of each program participant consistent with the role and required functions of this position.
Other Duties and Responsibilities Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
The employee typically works outdoor. Moderate to high travel is required. Physical activities include the ability to carry appropriate recruitment materials sometimes weighing up to 40 pounds. HOURS: Occasional evening, weekend and off-campus hours are required.
1. Associates Degree/High School Diploma/GED.
2. Bilingual,English and Spanish.
3. Effective interpersonal and intercultural communication skills; demonstrated tact, patience, and diplomacy, particularly with non-native English speakers.
4. Ability to work well with diverse colleagues in collaborative, trans-disciplinary, and integrative teaching and learning environments.
5. Commitment to ensuring student success and to developing a positive learning environment where diversity and pluralism are valued.
6. Demonstrated problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking abilities.
7. Excellent organizational skills, detailed and task oriented.
8. Excellent oral and written English language communication skills.
9. Strong computer skills, including proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
10. Ability to work independently.
1. Experience in academic advising or support services for multi-lingual adults.
2. Experience working with immigrant populations.
3. Familiarity with DACA/undocumented student legislation, issues and resources.
4. Experience initiating and leading collaborative projects.
Anticipated Work Hours and Days
Normal College hours. Occasionally, there will be additional evening and weekend hours.
Salary Posting Date 09/10/2019 Closing Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
All applications must be submitted electronically through Prairie State College website.