Salary Grade:GN10 Salary Range: $39,611 – $67,060
The primary purpose of the Regional Laboratory Technician is to perform various tests on materials utilized in the construction of North Carolina roads and bridges. This individual shall be fully capable of becoming competent in performing all tests that pertain to soils, coarse and fine aggregates, aggregate base course, concrete, asphalt, and other miscellaneous items for compliance with the NCDOT specifications.
Work will include oversight of lower-level lab technicians and communicating with Contractor and Department personnel to ensure compliance with NCDOT specifications. It is the responsibility of this position to input test data into HiCAMS to generate test reports and maintain an in-house Microsoft Excel database. This individual will be responsible for assisting with arranging daily work schedules for lower-level laboratory technicians at various testing stations; maintaining the laboratory equipment inventory list; and ensuring all equipment is in good working condition, which includes coordinating routine maintenance, repair, and replacement. Perform and upkeep the required routine calibration of testing equipment.
Qualified Applicants must submit an application that clearly reflects work experience that demonstrates the following:
- Knowledge of techniques, practices, and testing procedures related to concrete, cementitious materials, aggregate, and asphalt materials.
- Familiarity with quality management systems and the requirements of technicians and equipment.
- Experience communicating with technicians, individual work units, or external customers on technical issues.
- Experience in the use of applicable software including Microsoft Office and HiCAMS.
- Experience in report and technical documentation development.
Demonstrated ability to lift at least 50 pounds and stand for extended hours.
Associate's degree in Civil Engineering Technology, Survey Technology or assigned discipline from an appropriately accredited institution and three (3) years of progressive technician level experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.