General Statement of Duties and Distinguishing Features of Class
Under general supervision, is responsible for coordination, inspection and monitoring a variety of public works, utility, Capital Improvement Projects, and new development and repairs to existing projects for conformance to plans and/or specifications. Perform duties as assigned and actively participate in required and needed training and refresher training. Ability to assimilate a large amount of information upon coming into the position and remain up to date.
This is a public service job based in trust, credibility, and competency. It is a critical requirement of this position that the incumbent displays the desire and ability to perform and behave (on duty, as well as off duty) in a manner that does not damage or endanger the loss of trust with the public, co-workers, and other public safety forces. Candidate must meet the following qualifications and requirements at time of appointment.
Examples of Work (Illustrative Only)
· Keep records and make reports of inspections.
· Investigates drainage complaints and construction violations, notifies offenders, and works with them to correct violations and/or other problems.
· Work hours as needed by City Engineer or designee.
· Reviews requests for release of Subdivision Bonds.
· Prepares final punch lists, coordinates inspections from several departments.
· Directs and participates in the inspection of large construction projects, including roads, streets, alleys, storm sewers, soil erosion and water and sewer lines.
· Submits recommendations or changes, and acceptance or rejection of field work.
· Ability to read drawings, take off quantities, prepare estimates.
· Keeps the City Engineer or designee informed of the progress of projects.
· Gathers information necessary to keep accurate records.
· Takes field measurements, calculates quantities, and records units for payment to contractor.
· Furnishes information to the public, contractors, and engineers.
· Checks installation in City right-of ways, including driveway aprons, sidewalks, etc.
· Checks development plans submitted to the City for approval as to their conformation to the City code and Standards and informs Engineers of any irregularities.
· Ability to work on computers.
· Ability to manage time in a dynamic, stressful environment; and
· Works closely with departments, co-workers and supervisors to accomplish department goals.
· Periodically attends evening City Council work sessions, HOA meetings, resident meetings to present project updates.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities: The following is preferred
· Knowledge of materials, tools and methods used in construction work.
· Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
· Ability to assist with all phases of construction management including reports, contract documents, specifications, inspections, billing, etc.
· Ability to prepare cost estimates
· Ability to test sewer and water mains.
· Maintain working relationships.
· Ability to read and understand test results.
· Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
· Ability to write reports, letters, technical documents, etc. as needed.
· Possession of good English, proper grammar, and superior customer service skills.
· Able to interpret instructions in written or oral form.
· Ability to increase the department’s capabilities and quality related issues.
· Willingness to learn and grow – assisting in “Commitment to Excellence to Public Service”; and
· Demonstrated willingness to support and practice those policies outlined in the Employee Manual.
Minimum Education, Experience, and Requirements
· High School Diploma or equivalent.
· 2-year Associates Degree in Engineering, Building, Surveying and/or Construction Management or currently enrolled in such program.
· Possess and maintain a valid State of Ohio driver’s license during the duration of employment in this position.
· Possess a good driving record at time of employment and is insurable.
· Demonstrated work history of sound decision making.
· Demonstrated work history of the motivation required to complete assigned tasks effectively and efficiently.
· Establish sound working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and residents.
· Willingness to take on continuing education as it may apply to the position.
· Possess or be willing to obtain CDL, Class B license, with tanker endorsement within six months of employment.
· Visual acuity and perception are required.
· Auditory acuity to hear the cell phone, radio, or communication in construction area.
· Ability to move in and out of a vehicle numerous times a day.
· Ability to sit at a computer station for extended periods of time.
· Mobility to respond to customers in a timely fashion, file and make copies; and
· Ability to perform physical labor in varying climates, weather conditions, and on uneven ground.
I understand this position is a position at will, and nothing in this job description and no oral statements made to me in connection .
Please apply on the City of Mason's website at: www.imaginemason.org
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.56 – $26.21 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- One location
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place