Caterpillar’s Resource Industries Operations & Products is currently seeking a Test Engineer to support product development at the Caterpillar Tucson Proving Ground. In this role you will perform engineering assignments while building a working knowledge of Caterpillar and Caterpillar products, technologies, processes, services, and systems. Activities are focused on full scale testing of mining equipment, construction equipment and technology to ensure that products perform as intended and meet customer requirements.
- Plan and execute testing of mining and construction equipment and technology. Validate that new products and updated products meet engineering requirements.
- Make safety and health a priority during all work (and home) activities. Engage in Caterpillar’s culture of safety and participate in efforts and activities to continuously improve the safety culture of TPG.
- Create project plans for test activity, write work instructions, manage and participate in building and modification of machines, outline instrumentation requirements for testing, conduct testing, analyze test results, communicate findings, and write technical summary reports.
- Apply technical skills to develop and validate electronic and software systems prior to delivering machines and software updates to the field. The candidate may also get exposure to other validation tasks related to Electro-magnetic compatibility and structural, mechanical, hydraulic, cooling, engine, and powertrain systems
- Use engineering systems to look up drawings, specifications, and solid models. Use software like Excel, Tableau, DATK to analyze test data. Use MS Office applications to create effective technical and communication documents.
- Collaborate in cross-functional teams that include other engineers, technologists, mechanics, instrumentation technicians, operators, and logisticians in a collaborative team environment to complete complex tasks safely, with the highest quality, while meeting project schedules and budgets.
- Apply knowledge of machines and machine systems to perform troubleshooting of malfunctioning components, systems, and machines.
- Learn the fundamentals of mining and construction equipment operations and maintenance. Learn through on-the-job training to operate equipment.
- Provide ideas for continuous improvement (CI) to the safety, quality, velocity, and cost of engineering and operations at the proving ground. Aid supervisor in implementation of CI ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other accredited engineering curriculum.
- 1 – 3 years of strong technical and analytical development and ability to deliver results that contribute to business success.
TOP CANDIDATES WILL ALSO HAVE
- Experience with SuperComm 2, Cadet, Caterpillar Electronic Technician, CANape, and SIS Web.
- Experience in product development and/or design of machinery and equipment, mining, simulation and analysis, vehicle testing, or mechanical and hydraulic components and/or systems.
- Strong communication skills and a demonstrated ability to build positive working relationships with coworkers and customers.
- Strong computer skills with ability to multitask different software applications simultaneously
Ability to frequently work on one’s feet for full days at a time in a variety of environmental conditions
- (i.e. inside/outside, hot/cold/inclement weather, dusty environment). Ability (after on-the-job training) to safely operate equipment and machinery.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO)
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.