Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Education at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The individual holding this position will serve as a member of the university’s college of leadership and public service. The individual’s primary teaching responsibility will be teaching courses in the university’s undergraduate education program. Possible courses include, but are not limited to: elementary math methods, elementary science methods, elementary social studies methods, and K-8 evidence-based reading. This position also requires the supervision of student teachers and practicum students.
The university’s undergraduate education program is among the university’s most highly enrolled programs. Start date is mid-August 2020. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a terminal degree in education (or be master’s prepared with significant relevant experience and working toward—or willing to work toward- a terminal degree).
- Have demonstrable, successful experience as a teacher at the college level (or demonstrable promise thereof).
- Have demonstrable, appreciable, successful experience as a classroom teacher at the primary level.
- Be firmly committed to high quality teaching and to active, experiential, project-based learning, and technology-facilitated instruction in an undergraduate learning environment.
- Be committed to mentoring students, including serving as an academic advisor.
Have a plan and aspirations for professional growth and development.
Essential, ongoing responsibilities associated with the position include:
- Successful teaching, practicum supervision, and supervision of student teachers.
- Successfully mentoring and advising students.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues, within the department, the college, and across the university.
- Providing service to the department, college, discipline, university, and community.
- Engaging in ongoing professional development and remaining current in one’s discipline and areas of specialization.
- Engaging in curriculum development
- Engaging in ongoing assessment activities.
- Community outreach and the development of relationships with members of the local and regional communities (as appropriate).
- Acting in a professional and collegial manner (this includes: maintaining a regular and ongoing presence on campus, maintaining confidentiality as required, holding regular office hours, participating in recruitment and retention efforts, participating in various academic ceremonies, and being accessible to students and colleagues).
- Participating in ongoing evaluations.
- Assuming other duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or negotiated.
All candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of successful college-level teaching, including strong professor-student relationships, commitment to student development, and creative pedagogical practice. All applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses) of four professional references. Original transcripts and background check will be required before an appointment is made.
Please submit materials electronically via email to [email protected] Please write Education in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.