Job Title: Elem. Science Teacher 2029-2020 School Year
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Teachers are responsible for the education of their students. As examples to their students, teachers are expected to demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. Teachers are employed as professionals within the guidelines established by the School and the Board of Directors. These guidelines provide that instruction be consistent with the Core Knowledge Sequence and the School curriculum. Teachers are expected to adhere to Loveland Classical Schools Mission, Vision and Philosophy. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to fulfill the teaching/learning cycle. This job description may not encompass all the duties listed below of this individual and may include other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for conducting an organized and professional classroom:
- Teaches subject area according to curriculum guidelines specified by Loveland Classical. Understand and adhere to the principals of classical education and apply the principles of the trivium.
- Implements curriculum and instruction in a manner consistent with LCS’ Mission Statement.
- Responsible for conveying knowledge to students, willingness to meet each child’s academic need, and promote high academic standards. Must have an unrelenting desire to improve students’ work, engage students, and maximize time in the classroom.
- Command of the English language
- Ability to speak and write lucidly and grammatically
- Ability to correct students in writing and in speaking
- Maintenance of Classroom Decorum
- Maintain a class environment focused on instruction
- Enforce the dress code
- Support the discipline procedures
- Require students to be respectful of their teachers
- Insist that students are attentive and participatory
- Implement and demonstrate character values in class
- Tolerate no cruelty among students
- Be sensitive to problems as they are developing and intervene immediately
- Provide clear expectations and effectively redirect misbehavior
- Loyalty to the school and its mission
- Willingness to take direction from administration
- Punctuality and attendance
- Professionalism in appearance
- Attendance to other assignments
- Follow policies established by Loveland Classical Schools BOD
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Pass the PLACE or PRAXIS II Test or have 24 semester credits in minor areas of assignment.
- Demonstrated mastery in an academic discipline
- Ability and willingness to teach the Core Knowledge Sequence or High School curriculum as defined in the charter application
- Willingness to teach moral character
- Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively
- Conviction in the values of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Ability to maintain an orderly classroom
Other Desired Characteristics
- Previous teaching experience or experience working with young people
- A liberal arts education
- Experience with the Core Knowledge Sequence or higher liberal arts teaching
- Experience or knowledge of charter or independent schools
- This is an At-Will employment position.
- This position is exempt.
- LCS is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis, including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, or national origin.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must be able to lift or move 15-25 pounds occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Job Type: Full-time
- teaching: 1 year (Preferred)