Dow has an exciting opportunity for an Electrician Instrument Mechanic in Knoxville, TN.
This role will support maintenance operations in the Knoxville Plant with regard to electrical power distribution systems, control systems and instrumentation. The purpose of this job is to provide electrical maintenance support. The incumbent will be responsible for installing, testing, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing industrial electrical equipment and control systems in a safe manner.
Duties could include, but are not limited to installing, connecting, maintaining and troubleshooting low and medium voltage motor control systems, switchgear, transformers, substations, instrument cable, signal cable and instrumentation, building and area lighting systems, electric motors and motor drive systems (sync./induction/VFD), UPS systems and other power conversion devices.
- Demonstrate the use of the following test equipment (Multimeter, Continuity Tester, Megohommeter (Megger) and Voltage Tester, such as a Fluke T5-1000 or Tegam.
- Identify and explain ground fault circuit interrupters.
- Properly identify, install/connect and support various lighting fixture structures (Fluorescent, Incandescent, Industrial weather proof/hazardous lighting, metal halide, etc.)
- Read and interpret Electrical Single Line Diagrams and identify and understand auxiliary circuits associated with each piece of equipment.
- Specify, comply and verify equipment for hazardous area classifications according to hazardous area classification drawings.
- Test to identify grounds, opens, insulation integrity and shorts.
- Perform preventative, predictive maintenance (PPM) and hook-up using different transformer nameplate diagrams.
- Identify and connect motor controls for specific applications.
**This role will have an assessment to complete during the application process. Please allow 30 minutes – 1 hour to complete the assessment at the time of application. You will not be able to save your application for later. Even if you have taken this assessment before please click on the link. An assessment is required for each position you apply to.**
- Have training through an approved Department of Labor apprenticeship program such as the National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Electrical Industry (NJATC) or International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).
- 2 or more years of experience as a Journeyman or Apprentice (inside) Wireman.
- Able to read, understand and follow blueprints, instrumentation loop sheets and wiring diagrams.
- Able to prioritize and plan the order of work.
- Successful applicants must pass a physical entry test to meet job requirements.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
Able to meet the following physical demands of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Lift, push, and pull up to 55 lbs.
- Frequent bending, reaching, and lifting
- Stand 50% of the time.
- Walk for extended periods of time
- Work at heights, climb stairs and ladders.
- Work in tight and closed in spaces.
- Wear all required personal protective equipment, including but not limited to respirator.
- Work in an area of intense or continuous noise.
- Work in an area with hazardous materials
- Journeyman certification.
- Experience with estimating materials.
- Previous experience in motor control circuits.
- Previous experience in the troubleshooting and repair of instruments and instrument systems.
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Be proficient in computers to perform job tasks.
- Have strong Interpersonal, Facilitative, and Organizational skills.
- Effectively interacts with multiple functions and diverse individuals to achieve goals.
- Demonstrates excellent decision making skills and the ability to prioritize appropriately.
- Effectively manages multiple competing priorities.
- Has strong troubleshooting skills.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to communicate with a very diverse population which is spread across the site.
- Strong reading comprehension and listening skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills.
- Demonstrate leadership skills – inspire others and lead them through influence.
- Able to work with independently with minimal supervision with in an empowered team environment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Safety focused.
**The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation assistance for this position. This includes reimbursement for travel expenses incurred to and from test sessions/interviews. If you apply for a position that is not within the area in which you reside, you will be responsible for all costs that you incur. **
- A robust total rewards program, including: competitive base pay, variable pay that rewards individual, team, and Company performance, and comprehensive benefits
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company’s ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company. Dow’s portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure and consumer care. Dow operates 109 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 36,500 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $43 billion in 2019. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries.