BronxWorks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences.
- Identify, obtain and organize educational resources, materials and curriculum guides for thematic periods (i.e. lessons, bulletin boards, trips, etc).
- Review lesson plans with a particular focus on literacy and numeracy to ensuring that activities are engaging, age-appropriate, thematic, experiential, educationally sound and engaging.
- Work with the Program Coordinator and Counselors to provide resources, lessons and materials to infuse theme into programming.
- Create and maintain an educationally enriching environment including bulletin boards, displays and library.
- Model lessons and instructional activities for Counselors as needed.
- Work with the Counselors to promote smart technology applications in the classroom; develop computer literacy activities and promote project- based learning.
- Assist with recruitment, interviewing, and recommendations of new Counselors
- Hold monthly supervisor sessions with Counselors to identify individual and group educational needs, review lessons, assess classroom environment, and plan events.
- Conduct formal and informal observations of lessons and classroom environment monthly.
- Provide feedback to on the development of the educational component.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in an education related field of study.
- At least two years of supervisory and/or administrative experience preferred.
- Ability to work well with youth and their parents.
- Experience with or knowledge of best practices in youth development preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required.
- Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to climb five flights of stairs, if required to conduct home visits and/or fieldwork.
- Ability to bend and retrieve objects and/or documents.
- Ability to travel in the boroughs of New York City and its adjacent counties via public transportation.
- Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time and in all types of weather, including inclement weather, if required to conduct home visits and/or field work.
BronxWorks offers a variety of benefits to full-time salaried employees as well as part-time salaried employees who work at least 20 hours per week year-round. Generous paid time off for personal, vacation, parental, and medical leave and a pension plan that is 100% employer paid.
We support all aspects of diversity, and in accordance with federal, state and local laws, does not discriminate unlawfully against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, marital status, military status, national origin (including ancestry), predisposing genetic characteristic, race, sex, gender, actual or perceived sexual orientation (including actual or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality), status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law.