The Director of Psychiatry and Neuro psychiatry Services at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute (UM Rehab & Ortho) is charged with aggressively implementing an effective program to demonstrate the competencies of Vision, Leadership, Alignment, and Strategic Business Perspective of the hospital; and, the competencies of Integrity, Ethics, and Critical Thinking to all staff, patients, families or business associates. The director will meet or exceed the standards of excellence set out in the Core Competencies, which are vital to the strategic mission of the hospital.
This position requires results-oriented collaboration with the appropriate UM Rehab/UMMS leadership. The director will coordinate services providing maximum level of total service delivery and care for patients in accordance with UM Rehab & Ortho and UMMS philosophy and objectives. The director will participate in and oversee performance improvement activities; budget development, monitoring and execution; staffing; human resource oversight; capital equipment budgeting & procurement; and other major departmental projects as assigned.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by the person assigned to this classification; not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties.
- Visioning: Collaborates with senior leadership on the development of effective plans for the organization's future based on a clear understanding of trends, uncertainties, risk, and rewards. Positions the organization to take advantage of trends. Communicates the vision with clarity and translates the vision into action.
- Leadership & Management: Articulates a clear direction for the unit/department that translates into S.M.A.R.T. goals and outcomes for staff. Inspires staff to move in desired direction through role modeling, delegation of tasks, removal of barriers, monitoring progress and serving as an advocate. Leverages available resources to meet departmental/organizational goals. Purposefully provides guidance in setting priorities, delegating tasks, and developing a results-oriented approach.
- Alignment: Aligns the workforce performance with the organization's strategic and key operational priorities. Applies an understanding of products, service lines, key competitors, and customers to provide valued insights to the leadership team. Communicates a vision of the organization that inspires and aligns employee performance.
- Strategic Business Perspective: Fosters an environment of business-oriented management, efficiency, and service orientation. Implements/directs business systems, budget and communication processes that reflect integration of UM Rehab & Ortho’s strategic plan and key operational goals. Assures alignment of department operations to achieve desired service/program outcomes. Provides leadership and engages staff to achieve excellence in service delivery. Develops and oversees the allocation of resources that enhance workload efficiencies, performance and outcomes.
- Integrity/Ethics: Consistently displays a personal value system based on honesty and integrity. Honors a commitment to decision quality by employing morals and ethics, offering full disclosure and selecting appropriate actions. Upholds principles outlined within UMMS Corporate Compliance policy and Standards of Conduct.
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrates the agility necessary to solve problems and make decisions by employing inquiry, reasoning and a results-oriented approach. Assimilates and cross-calibrates multiple data sources before generating solution options. Breaks down complex problems into discrete components. Raises and pursues insightful, significant questions. Carefully designs prudent decisions that are perceived as fair, balanced, and ethically sound when implemented.
- Respect & Customer Service: Dedicated to meet/exceed expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Seizes opportunities to design practical solutions to improve customer satisfaction. Coaches direct reports to seek and develop excellence in customer service behaviors and service recovery process. Holds managers/staff accountable for appropriate response to customer requirements.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Ensure integration and cooperation across organizational boundaries. Actively promotes teamwork and information sharing at all organizational levels. Generates and implements strategies to gain support from others. Facilitates the development of team norms and values collaboratively with team members.
- Talent Management: Accurately identifies and selects qualified candidates during the recruitment process (interviewing, hiring and orientation). Stays abreast of critical shortages in health care labor market. Designs strategies to retain talented individuals including recognition, coaching and creating potential career pathways for staff. Develops and delivers timely, valuable and constructive feedback via the performance review system that includes reflective self-analysis, goal setting and action planning for improvement. Creates and delivers stretch assignments as growth opportunities for direct reports. Identifies internal candidates with high leadership potential. Grows bench strength toward succession planning.
- Technology: Identifies and recommends new technology to enhance UM Rehab & Ortho’s Mission, Vision and Values. Aligns new technologies with the organization’s strategic plan and key operating priorities. Considers impact on the organization, work structure, job design, educational needs and other essential resources during the planning, implementation and ongoing evaluation. Identifies and utilizes comprehensive performance metrics to maximize organizational performance.
- Communication: Uses transparent communication processes and ensures employees receive timely, frequent information that affects their quality of work life and condition of employment. Develops and delivers communications (oral and written) that have clarity and impact. Identifies situations when planned communication strategies are required and ensures that comprehensive communication plans and strategies are applied in sensitive situations.
- Compliance: Stays abreast of pertinent regulatory, accreditation, and applicable standards (TJC, CARF, OSHA, etc.). Oversees operational compliance with applicable standards. Assumes assigned leadership role during survey preparedness and survey process. Addresses areas of deficiency with a comprehensive action plan. Provides direction and vigilance to performance for areas of responsibility, activity, and/or project.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education & Experience
- Doctoral degree in clinical psychology (PsyD, PhD) or medical degree (MD, DO, NP) with specialization in psychiatry.
- Possession of a current, valid, unrestricted license in Psychology from the Board of Examiners of Psychologists, Medicine, or Nursing in the state of Maryland.
- Credentialed according to Medical Staff Bylaw.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of clinical experience in Neuropsychology, Psychology or Psychiatry
- Minimum of five (5) years professional/management experience involving competence in the clinical setting.
- Must have knowledge and proven performance in meeting professional standards.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.