Great Northern Cabinetry, a manufacturer of high-quality semi-custom cabinetry that are sold through a nationwide network of kitchen and bath dealers, has recently been acquired by an executive team with extensive background growing businesses through lean manufacturing principles. The company produces approximately 20,000 cabinets per year, though new ownership believes an increase to 30,000 units annually over the next three years is well within reach by leveraging a strong team and implementing a lean manufacturing system.
The current Director of Manufacturing is retiring after a 45-year career at the company, and ownership would like to recruit a new leader. The successful candidate will be responsible for all manufacturing and shipping related activities, which today consists of approximately 55 direct production workers and 10 indirect personnel.
The newly hired Director will lead the development and implementation of a lean manufacturing system, focusing on safety, quality, deliver and cost. The Director will work across the organization – closely with ownership, but also with the current management team to ensure the company achieves its desired production goals. Specifically, the successful candidate will:
1. Develop a culture of safety, quality, and delivery throughout the company.
2. Using lean manufacturing techniques, implement a system to increase throughput and productivity.
3. Create an environment that is attractive to potential hourly workers by setting high expectations, holding team members accountable, rewarding performance and demonstrating respect to the individual.
4. Achieve the daily, weekly, and monthly production objectives.
5. Develop and implement a vision and strategy to evolve the production operation to modern and contemporary technology.
The ideal candidate will bring forth the following leadership characteristics:
- Patience with people; impatience with process.
- Cross functional leadership.
- Teacher and mentor.
- Strategy development for capital planning, technology, process and people.
The successful candidate will have a four-year degree and 15+ years of experience, 10 of which have been in leadership roles. The selected candidate will have a strong background working for an organization with an established lean culture and will have been the chief implementation architect at least once. The chosen candidate must be able to lead, but also be willing get his/her hands dirty when required.
The successful candidate will enjoy living and working in a rural environment where begin part of the community is paramount and outdoors activities are central to a full lifestyle.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $100,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Manufacturing: 10 years (Preferred)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place