Manages daily operations for the Office of Institutional Research & Effectiveness (IRE), which includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that information is collected and official reports are produced to maintain compliance with federal, state, system, and university requirements; overseeing the Operational Data Store (ODS) used by IRE as a composite information system for the storage of archival data that is accessed by SQL extraction queries to provide reporting information; and developing technologically-driven enhancements for providing internal constituents with access to data and information for decision making, much of which is currently provided through the reporting tools of Tableau and Argos. Oversees data visualization by making large and/or complex data more accessible, understandable and usable. Manages activities of the department in regards to recruiting and selection, hiring and terminating, inventory control, purchasing, training, professional development, mentoring, and performance evaluations.
- Ensures that information is collected and official reports are produced to maintain compliance with all university, system, state, and federal reporting requirements; develops and manages the unit’s processes and procedures for responding to data needs in an efficient manner; coordinates responses to external surveys from local, state, and national agencies and associations.
- Oversees data visualization by making large and/or complex data more accessible, understandable and usable by transforming, improving and integrating data; combining the data results in sets across multiple sources; and delivering the data in a useful and appealing way that aligns with University’s mission and strategic plan.
- Manages the development and maintenance of the Operational Data Store (ODS) composite information system that provides data for reporting. The ODS database and the Banner Student Information System, along with other PVAMU and TAMUS databases provide the network for obtaining information to meet requirements. With the various database sources, validating data input into the environment has a high priority.
- Monitors and directs the processes of data collection and validation for online data reports, interactive data dashboards, and daily operations reports; ensures the production of reports necessary for key institutional measures such as the Fact Book, term and historical data dashboards, enrollment and graduation reports, and ad hoc reports; troubleshoots problems, identifies solutions, and proposes improvements in efficiency pertaining to the operation of databases and reporting tools (ODS, Tableau, Argos, Excel, etc.).
- Organizes and summarizes data into useful and readable reports for both internal and external constituents for the purposes of describing, documenting and publishing institutional information and measures of effectiveness; serves on University committees related with data integrity, technology, program review, or SACSCOC accreditation.
- Provides support to the institution and colleges on data needs related with institutional and program reviews/ accreditation; interacts with constituents to clarify data needs, train in utilizing data resources, and interpreting data results; participates on research grant-writing teams to submit funding proposals to advance the mission of the department and the University.
- Manages the activities of the department in regards to recruiting and selection, training, professional development, mentoring, coaching, and performance evaluations; supervises and manages the activities of the department to accurately and efficiently respond to constituent data needs. Additionally works with purchasing and inventory control.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree.
- Ten (10) years of related experience in institutional research.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- An earned Doctorate degree.
- Ten (10) or more years of management level experience in institutional research.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Knowledge of University processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of applied statistical methods and packages, as well as survey analyses.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Effective leadership and management skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Capabilities with using Oracle SQL tools and similar software systems for developing and revising extraction queries.
- Experience using word processing, spreadsheet, and statistical applications.
- Ability to write concise analytical reports that are directed to the specific readership.
- Understanding of Banner or similar higher education information systems and Argos or similar enterprise reporting solution.
- Working knowledge and experience using data visualization and concepts.
Job Posting Close Date:
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or [email protected] should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.