Do you enjoy teaching and coaching others? Do you feel a sense of pride when they “get it?” Are you looking for a job where you can have fun and make a difference with an awesome team?
PathPoint is currently seeking a full-time Direct Support Professional to join our Discoveries program team in Simi Valley, CA. Discoveries is a day program that provides skills training and support for individuals with mild to moderate physical and developmental disabilities.
As a Direct Support Professional, you will teach a variety of skills on community outings and in the classroom. The fun curriculum includes art, music, cooking, gardening, photography, and more. We’re looking for creative and compassionate people who are teachers at heart, and we encourage you to bring your own ideas for new curriculum! The schedule is Monday-Friday 8:30am-4pm. Paid training, First Aid, and CPR certification is provided.
- Teach individuals social/life skills to help them lead more independent lives, including communication skills, mobility, money management, housing, and public transportation.
- Teach individuals vocational skills to help prepare them for entry-level employment.
- Supervise individuals during hours of instruction and on community outings.
- Build friendly and professional rapport with individuals and act as a positive role model for work habits, communication skills, and social skills.
- Prepare weekly schedules, monthly training projections, and written progress reports.
- High school diploma or GED is required. BA/BS in Psychology, Education, or related field is preferred.
- Previous experience working with individuals with disabilities or disadvantages is desirable.
- Experience teaching, coaching or training others is desirable.
- Must pass Live Scan DOJ fingerprint background check, TB screening and basic health screening.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with at least 5 years driving history, a satisfactory driving record, and use of a vehicle with current registration and insurance.
Compensation and Benefit Package: $13.00-$13.50 per hour. As a full-time employee, you’ll be eligible for our generous benefits package, including medical, vision, dental, and life/AD&D insurance; paid vacation, holidays, and sick time; wellness program with cash rewards; Section 125 FSA (Flexible Spending Account); 403(b) tax-sheltered retirement savings plan with employer match; a free Employee Assistance Program; and housing assistance.
About PathPoint: PathPoint, a non-profit organization based in Santa Barbara, supports people in living the life they choose. PathPoint partners with people with disabilities, people with mental health diagnoses, and young adults to pursue their hopes and dreams through strengthening workplace abilities, building life skills, and developing meaningful relationships. Founded in 1964, it offers services in five Central Coast and Southern California counties: Kern, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.