The Residence Counselor is responsible for responding to individual needs and emergencies as they arise during scheduled hours, health maintenance, personal care and social and emotional development. This position will attend to individual’s personal care needs, respect their privacy and home environment and maintain documentation as well as implementing the individuals Person Centered Plan, and oversee the individuals’ safety. An emphasis is placed on creating an environment that maintains and promotes independence and supports the individuals to experience a full-autonomous life.
Activities include but are not limited to the following:
· Implement, document, and/or summarize programming as indicated in the individuals Person Centered Plan.
· Respond to medical emergencies and log any/all incidents that may occur during sleeping hours.
· Attend to personal, self-care and other program needs that the individuals cannot independently accomplish.
· Oversee the safety and well-being of the individuals.
· Advise nursing staff regarding the individuals’ medical and dietary concerns, dispense medication, if certified.
· Participate in activities as part of the treatment team that may include meetings, trainings and committees.
· Transport and accompany residences as requires for appointments and community activities.
· Assist in the daily housekeeping and laundry routine, report house damage and complete work orders; clean wheelchairs, clean and gas-up vans, as needed.
· Maintain documentation as required.
· Ensure that all doors have been locked during overnight hours;
· Ensure an appropriate temperature in the house for sleeping by adjusting the thermostat and/or closing windows.
· Conduct evacuation drills as assigned and complete documentation required.
· Establish a work environment that creates positive communication between supervisors and employees and assimilates new employees to the Center’s culture, values and mission.
· Ensure compliance with all pertinent government and agency regulations and operating standards.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Up to 1 year of experience.
- This position has regular and substantial unsupervised or unrestricted physical contact with individuals receiving services, therefore, is required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history record check under OPWDD (Office for People with Developmental Disabilities).
- Must have a valid New York State Driver’s License.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances are warranted.
- Ability to meet physical and mental requirements.
- Maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- Regularly attend scheduled shifts and meetings, being punctual.
- Exercise tact, discretion and judgment in working with a variety of people.
· Job related tasks may involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissue or the potential for skin or mucous membrane contact from spills or splashes of these substances. May have exposure to unpredictable individuals and situations when working at Kelberman Center sites.
· OSHA Exposure Category 1
- Ability to lift and/or assist individuals in your care and the ability to meet the physical requirements of the specific job.
- Ability to walk, bend, squat.
- Climb and descend stairs.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time. Must be able to move and react quickly.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances are warranted
- Must be able to manage and cope in sometimes stressful situations.
- Must have full sight and hearing with fluency in the English Language.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising work-flow and efficiency.
WORK CONTACT GROUP
All staff, individuals at sites, visitors, family members, vendors, various regulatory and professional agencies in New York.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $14.25 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Night shift
- On call
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- related: 1 year (Preferred)
- NYS Drivers License (Preferred)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place