- Produces, adapts and edits content for the web, social media and other digital outlets. Produces original news and information, translates reports, produces audio and video files, creates and designs graphics and publishes content to the web and all social media platforms.
- Conducts live or taped radio interviews on political, economic, scientific, cultural and other subjects of interest to targeted audiences. The subject matter can also be complex, controversial and politically sensitive in nature. Identifies persons to interview, relevant news and topics of interest, and develops in-depth questions to ensure an accurate and balanced program. Reports on special events in Washington and travels to other locations in the U.S. and in other target areas to cover important events. Reports "live" on location, or tapes the program for radio, television and internet programming platforms. Ensures that programming content is clear, accurate, well-balanced and consistent with broad US policy goals.
- Performs technical tasks on websites and social media platforms. These include selecting and editing multimedia enhancements that add value and interest to website capabilities. Ensures all website capabilities are functioning properly, and coordinates and edits potential website and mobile-based content from staff members and contractors prior to posting.
- Explores new developments in web-based and mobile applications for communicating VOA news and information to targeted audiences.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in target areas in order to plan and develop pertinent, balanced and accurate reporting and programming content that will hold and expand audience interest and participation.
Job family (Series)
1001 General Arts And Information
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by closing date of the announcement to be considered.
- Applicants must complete online questionnaire.
- If you are a male applicant, born after 12/31/59, you are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act. The Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- This is a sensitive and/or national security position. If selected, this position requires the completion of the SF-86.
- Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
- This position is covered by a Union Agreement
- This vacancy is advertised under Delegated Examining (DE) procedures and is open to all U.S. citizens. Non-US citizen applicants MUST apply to (DE-11019188-21-AS ).
- Your application to this DE announcement will only allow consideration for this announcement. We cannot electronically or manually move your application to corresponding NC announcement
- TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION IF APPLYING BASED ON EDUCATION
QualificationsApplicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-09), which is directly related to this line of work AND fluency in the English and Indonesian languages that demonstrates ability to produce digital video and social media content in both languages.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Special experience for this position includes:
- Producing content in Indonesian and English language on multiple digital platforms.
- Demonstrated experience increasing audience reach using metrics, social media, and web platforms.
- Experience presenting news on the Internet.
- Knowledge of Indonesia and the surrounding regions.
OR Combining Education and Experience: Equivalent combination of successfully completed education and experience may be used to meet the experience requirements.
TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION IF APPLYING BASED ON EDUCATION
It is possible to qualify for this series (1001) at the GS-11 level with the following education options. You may qualify based on your education matching of the following options:
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.M., if related Required
- If you are an eligible Inter agency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant, you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
- Applicants claiming veteran's preference must submit a DD-214 (copy # 2 or 4 – member copy); veterans who are claiming disabled veteran preference must also submit a VA disability letter and a SF-15; AND, applicants seeking widow or other special veterans preference must submit a SF-15 and all documents indicated for their specific form of preference.
- If you are still on active duty, you may submit a statement of service from your Personnel Command which states the date you entered active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once your resume or application is submitted, a review of your qualifications will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements and competencies required for this position.
- Target Area
Possession of competencies may be addressed in a cover letter and/or resume. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your qualifications. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. You will then be placed in one of three rating categories:
- Qualified Category
- Well Qualified Category
- Best Qualified Category
Application of Veterans' Preference: Category Rating does not add veterans' preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more will be placed at the top of the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher). Preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or more will be assigned to the appropriate quality category based upon the job-related assessment and will be listed ahead of nonpreference eligibles within the appropriate quality category.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s), which may not be required for all applicants:
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
Although the required documents listed in this announcement only indicates that a resume is required, other documents may be required in specific circumstances, as indicated in application requirements in Other Information above.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach the member copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also attach an Application of 10-Point Veterans' Preference (SF-15) plus the proof required by that form
. If you are still on active duty, you may submit a statement of service from your Personnel Command which states the date you entered active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position is located in the Indonesian Service, East Asia and Pacific Division, VOA. The Indonesian Service is the primary focal point for providing international broadcasting programs in the Indonesian language emphasizing domestic news for geographically-defined audiences, covering developments specific to the target markets, most notably in countries without a free press or in transition, and in covering regional and international issues and events to ensure comprehensive news coverage.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
Individuals with disabilities
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL), the public, Veterans; All U.S. Citizens.