Under general direction, administers, maintains, develops and implements procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of district databases; provides technical and operational RDBMS (relational database management system) support to all levels of the District including information systems technical staff and end-users; applies expertise in the areas of database design, physical and logical database access, performance analysis and tuning, backup and recovery procedures and general problem resolution for various database access products and languages. Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
The Database Technician is responsible for basic and advanced computer database related duties. The position incumbent is not authorized to make budget expenditures.
1. Installs, configures and upgrades relational database management systems (RDBMS) software on database servers.
2. Installs, configures, upgrades and migrates application software for use with RDBMS.
3. Learns various RDBMS software as needed for supporting end user business needs.
4. Installs and configures application programming interface (API) on workstations to allow access to database systems through both client/server installations and remote control access installations.
5. Creates data extracts, develops reports, assists end users with Report Writer software.
6. Monitor capacity and allocate space according to data storage needs.
7. Creates new users and groups and sets permissions for database access.
8. Troubleshoots and resolves hardware/software problems pertaining to databases and user access.
9. Creates, maintains and monitors Database Maintenance Plans to ensure: successful backup and disaster recovery, periodic re-indexing of tables and reliability of data integrity.
10. Monitors maintenance plan history logs for error conditions.
11. Documents procedures and best practices in terms of database administration.
12. Provides data extracts and data scrubbing for system conversions, manages deployments, control processes and procedures for implementation and maintenance on various RDBMS platforms.
13. Coordinates with the Network Systems Technicians on space management issues and security management.
14. Develops and maintains web interfaces to access database backend.
15. Interfaces with programmers and end-users in determining district database needs, programming changes, and assists in test and debug activities.
16. Responsible for 24X7 on-call support on a rotating basis
17. Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check and a physical to include a drug screen.
The education or experience requirements may be modified or waived at the sole discretion of the Fire Chief. At least one of the education or experience requirements must be met; both requirements cannot be modified or waived. The Sacramento Metro Fire District Board of Directors shall be notified of any such modifications or waivers.
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Education and Experience:
Education must be obtained through a post secondary institution currently accredited by any accreditation body recognized by either the Counsel for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the United States Department of Education.
An Associate degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Science, Management Information Systems, or closely related field and three (3) years full time paid experience providing technical and operational database support.
Completion of a certificate program in Computer Science and three (3) years full time paid experience equivalent to the requirements listed in this job description.
Four (4) years full time paid experience providing technical and operational database support services, and completion of 30 semester units in Computer Science, Information Science, Management Information Systems, or closely related field.
Three (3) years full time paid experience in the class of Computer Systems Technician or higher with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District.
Note: Examples of acceptable certificate programs are a Computer Science Program certificate and A+ certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Various operating systems
- Various RDBMS software
- Thorough understanding of principles of database design, creation and use
- Functions of report writer software
- Querying various database systems using SQL
- Creation of user login accounts and permissions
- Database monitoring, performance tuning, and maintenance plans
- Database functions such as import, export, joins, create tables, add columns, and set data types
- Capabilities, limitations, characteristics, and uses of computer information systems and related hardware
- Installation and utilization of client/server applications
- Principles of file and data management systems
- Capabilities, limitations, characteristics and uses of various software applications
- HTML, Web administration
- Principles and procedures of personnel training
- Establish and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with a wide variety of people that include senior management, employees, outside agencies, and the general public
- Research, read, and interpret a wide variety of technical data
- Conduct and/or coordinate informal and formal training regarding District computer equipment and software
- Work under limited direction to prioritize work and seek solutions to specific problems
- Apply logical and orderly analysis process to troubleshooting and solving database problems
- Develop conclusions and present recommendations to resolve technical problems
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing, with the public and District personnel
- Participate in Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District's rotating on-call support schedule
- Work callback and sometimes work in adverse weather conditions
- Safely operate a District vehicle when assigned in the performance of essential job functions
Maintain physical ability and stamina to meet position tasks and responsibilities. Physical abilities must commensurate with the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the position.
No person shall pose a threat to themselves or to the health and safety of other individuals in the work place, or to the public they serve.
Possession of and ability to maintain a current valid California Driver's License, Class C, is a condition of employment.