About the Team
At Stitch Fix, our data science team ( https://multithreaded.stitchfix.com/algorithms/ ) combines machine learning with expert human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that transform the way our clients discover what they love. We believe in a curiosity-driven ( https://hbr.org/2018/11/curiosity-driven-data-science ) data science culture where members have autonomy to deliver impact through end-to-end, full-stack ( https://multithreaded.stitchfix.com/blog/2019/03/11/FullStackDS-Generalists/ ) product development and ownership. The diversity of the problems ( https://algorithms-tour.stitchfix.com/ ) that we work on and the data-rich environment of our business make it possible, even essential, to bring the tools of multiple disciplines ( https://multithreaded.stitchfix.com/blog/2019/10/31/many-roads-to-algos/ ) to bear on our hardest problems. As a $2B+ company, our growing international business is looking for data scientists and leaders to join us in the revolutionization of retail ( https://multithreaded.stitchfix.com/blog/2019/07/26/workflow/ ).
Our Inventory Modeling and Forecasting team leverages our unique data, business model and novel machine learning methods to estimate future inventory positions and business outcomes. We’ve built a unified platform for inventory models and forecasts, which power all algorithmic inventory management and operational decisions here at Stitch Fix. We identify opportunities for enhancing the forecasting system through close, cross-functional collaborations and acquiring a detailed understanding of the business and data science applications. The team develops models to capture various elements of our business, such as stylist selection and client purchasing behaviors, or the incorporation of human-in-the-loop judgements.
Inventory forecasting solutions ensure better products and user experiences, and are critical for the future success of our international business. This is an exciting time to tackle the unique forecasting challenges that arise in our innovative business model.
About the Role
As a senior-level manager, you will lead a team of experienced data scientists working on the development of an inventory modeling and forecasting platform.
In partnership with other data science and business leaders, you will identify opportunities and contribute to the implementation of forecasting solutions to drive impact of both existing and new product verticals. You will be your own product and project manager, creating a vision of what should be built and empowering your team to actualize that vision. You will interface with our data platform team ( https://www.stitchfix.com/careers/jobs?gh_jid=1688418&gh_jid=1688418 ) to leverage tools, and guide the development of general frameworks to ensure scale and reliability of the team’s solutions.
As an experienced people manager, you will be responsible for developing bright individuals and building an amazing team. You should be excited to identify people’s strengths and development opportunities, and fostering individual growth through frequent and kind feedback. As the company scales and the team continues to grow, you should understand the importance of being on the constant lookout to recruit top talent for the future.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Have autonomy and impact in your work thanks to our bottoms-up culture, and a Chief Algorithm Officer who reports directly to the CEO
- Lead a high-impact team of experienced data scientists to develop an inventory forecasting platform at the heart of the business to drive decisions and enable other algorithmic products
- Partner with a diverse set of data science and business leaders to identify strategic opportunities and new requirements for inventory-based forecasts at the company
- Develop modeling and quantitative forecasting solutions in conjunction with expert qualitative information to predict business outcomes and capture uncertainties.
- Still get to be hands-on using Python, R, Spark, Presto, Airflow, Git, CircleCI, etc.
- Foster a collaborative environment within the team, and develop strong partnerships with other data science and data platform groups.
- Be able to foster the development of individual data scientist careers through coaching & feedback.
We’re excited about you because…
- You have a M.S. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Operations Research, etc.
- You have managed and built out teams, and have several years of work experience in data science
- You have worked with teams to build production systems, and have experience managing an engineering platform with a diverse group of users
- You can look holistically at systems and architectures to decide what to improve, replace, and remove.
- You have a broad knowledge of machine learning approaches, with particular exposure to forecasting methods, and can be pragmatic when implementing solutions.
- You have exceptional coding and design skills in Python, with production experience using at least one of the following: Java, C++, Scala, golang, etc.
- You are willing to challenge the status quo to propose new and better ways of doing things, and have the rigor to show us why.
- You are a natural leader who is creative, forward thinking and inspires your teams with a vision
- You have strong cross-functional communication skills
- You will generate an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as a coach, mentor, and technical advisor.
- You will recruit and retain best-in-class data science talent to build a diverse high performing team.
Why You’ll Love Working at Stitch Fix
- We are a group of people who are bright, kind and motivated by challenge. You can be your authentic self here, and are empowered to encourage others to do the same!
- We are a successful, fast-growing company at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining retail for the next generation
- We are a technologically and data-driven business
- We are committed to our clients and connected through our vision of “Transforming the way people find what they love”
- We love solving problems, thinking creatively and trying new things
- We believe in autonomy & taking initiative
- We are challenged, developed and have meaningful impact
- We take what we do seriously. We don’t take ourselves seriously
- We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits
- You will be proud to say that you work for Stitch Fix and will know that the work you do brings joy to our clients every day