Function & Responsibility
Receives (by telephone, email or fax) requests for quotations, orders, and lead times from customers. Makes quotations on standard items, enter orders, and relays pertinent order information to customers. Coordinates with other departments in handling purchase orders and providing service to customers.
Performs duties with marketing department where customer contact is a prime responsibility.
- To answer sales and customer service calls from our customers in a timely and friendly manner.
- Advise customers on various aspects of product line.
- Checks with credit department concerning credit status of customer when rush orders are received.
- Follow up on inquiries regarding delivery information. Work closely with expeditor in production control regarding deliveries of scheduled shipments.
- Handles the needs of sales representatives and customers by area of the United States.
- Maintains files of active orders and posts activity such as change notices, scheduling changes, partial shipments, and credit changes.
- Act as an initial contact in investigating and resolving when possible any issues arise in the course of providing service.
- Input accurate information into the order system; ensuring all records and required information is retained on each customer’s account.
- To perform other job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Possess current and comprehensive skills and knowledge to perform all parts of the job efficiently and effectively.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent telephone skills including the ability to listen effectively to customers.
- Ability to apply tack and diplomacy to any given situation.
- Ability to help resolve and follow problems through to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Proficient in PC computer skills with the ability to use the company standard systems software.
- Ability to remain calm and work under pressure.
- Excellent sales skills with the ability to not make the customer feel pressured.
- Effectively utilizes time and resources.
- Works well in a fast paced environment and has the ability to make quick decisions.
- Has the ability to interface positively with all levels of employees.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of personnel.
- High school diploma preferred; experience will substitute for education.
- 3-5 years customer service experience handling the responsibilities outlined above.
- Typing skills and some knowledge of CRT necessary (40‑50 wpm).
- Previous background should include knowledge of parts and nomenclature as well as demonstrated ability to deal with customers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and reach with hands and arms. Requires the individual to work at a desk on a computer for an extended period of time with periods of time in which they will have to move around the office for interaction with others. Requires interaction with others via the telephone and email for extended periods of time.
Requires light physical effort such as stopping and bending, and occasional lifting of lightweight objects (up to 25 pounds). The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate.