*PLEASE READ before applying. REQUIRES ENLISTMENT INTO THE ARMY RESERVE
*AGE 17-34 only, must be US Citizen or Permanent Resident
*MUST HAVE High School diploma or GED
*TRANSFERABILITY to Civilian Work
The culinary specialist is primarily responsible for the preparation and service of food in field or garrison food service operations.
· Bake, fry, braise, boil, simmer, steam and sauté as prescribed by Army recipes
· Operate, maintain and clean field kitchen equipment
· Perform preventive maintenance on garrison and field kitchen equipment
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a culinary specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and nine weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field, including practice in food preparation.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
· Standard and dietetic menus and recipes
· Preparation and cooking of various foodstuffs and bakery products
· Food and supply ordering
· Storage of meats, poultry and other perishable items
· Interest in cooking, home economics, health, mathematics, accounting and chemistry
Required ASVAB Score(s)
Operators & Food (OF): 85
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
Earn Cash For In Demand Jobs
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties. Visit Jobs in Demand to see if this job qualifies for an enlistment bonus.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn as a culinary specialist will help prepare you for a future with civilian cafes, restaurants, cafeterias, hotels, hospitals, manufacturing plants, schools and other organizations that have their own dining facilities. Depending on which specialty you pursue, you’ll be able to pursue a career as a cook, chef, meat cutter, butcher or baker.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
· Kraft Food Global, Inc
· McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii, Inc.
· Grand Sierra Resort
· Shearer's Foods, Inc.
· Dot Foods, Inc.
· Patrick Cudahy, Inc.
· Santa Fe Cattle Company
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $30,000.00 – $80,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
- Signing bonus
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Multiple locations
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Stable — traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible