Who We Are: Founded in 2015, Mursion is a technology-driven, multi-disciplinary startup creating cutting edge virtual reality simulations. Our simulations are used globally by professionals across multiple industries to practice and master the complex interpersonal skills necessary to be effective in high-stakes professions. Mursion promotes a unique culture where individuals are able to be adventurous in the pursuit of improving human interactions. Ideal candidates at Mursion are team-players, comfortable working across remote teams and distributed environments, and invested in the idea that high impact learning experiences can be both powerful and playful.
Who We Want: We seek talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission to leverage virtual reality technology to reinvent professional learning, and who are motivated to help Mursion become the premier global platform for virtual simulation training for behavioral skills. We value empathy, curiosity, and constant improvement both in our internal operations and when working with partners and clients. Our employees are most successful when they employ strong collaboration skills, skilled communications, a problem-solving orientation, and demonstrate comfort in an evolving and fast-paced startup environment.
Position Overview: We are currently seeking a tech-savvy Corporate Controller to lead the accounting function here at Mursion. The ideal candidate will be excited to drive innovation and establish the department as we scale. The Controller is self-motivated, and comfortable working in fast-paced environments. You will implement new financial systems, processes, and procedures.
This is a full-time, salaried position reporting to the CFO. The Corporate Controller role is fully remote with the option to work out of our San Francisco office.
- Oversee all matters related to accounting including the month-end close, preparation of monthly financial reporting, AP / AR management, P&L statements, compliance, budgeting, payroll, and reporting
- Review customer contracts as they are signed and determine revenue recognition appropriate for each contract
- Collaborate with department leaders across the organization on monthly budget variances and performance analytics
- Partner with the Director of Business Intelligence to maintain a robust framework of KPI reporting
- Partner with Director of Sales Operations to produce monthly sales commission reports and process commissions
- Perform an internal audit of controls to identify opportunities for improvements; once improved controls are established, maintain them and related processes
- Manage regulatory compliance in all applicable states
- Manage sales tax reporting requirements in all applicable states
- Partner with external auditors to prepare audited financial statements and tax returns
- Partner with Chief Operating Officer, Director of Business Intelligence and external consultants to switch from multiple discrete business systems and QBO to a consolidated ERP environment
- Build, oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity
- CPA required (Preferably active)
- 6+ years of accounting experience (B2B)
- A bachelor's degree in accounting or related field
- Experience working in Public Accounting Firms and Industry managing $20M in revenue or higher (preferably a start-up)
- Ability to work both cross-functionally and independently; excellent communication and leadership skills
- Strong analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP reporting
- Strong operational accounting experience
Compensation and perks: Salary commensurate with experience. For full-time employees, Mursion offers competitive benefits, which include full medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k matching program, paid holidays, and unlimited PTO.
Collaborate with a unique blend of employees ranging from 3D artists, software developers, operations, sales, and finance teams to actors who deliver interactive, highly immersive simulations.
Be at the forefront of reinventing learning for the future workforce.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should submit a resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested parties are encouraged to submit as soon as possible.
Mursion is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, womxn, persons with disabilities, and the LGBTQIA+ community.
We cultivate empathy
Empathy is at the core of all we do. We make time to communicate and listen before we take action. We make decisions based on reasoned analysis and authentic care for the aspirations of our partners and colleagues.
We lead with curiosity to create lightbulb moments
Our team is strengthened by having the courage to thoughtfully ask difficult questions. We are results-oriented innovators who create dynamic solutions to complex problems by encouraging transparency, creativity, and iteration. We are energized by thought-provoking conversations and the diverse perspectives of our partners and peers.
We strive to raise the bar
We see ourselves as trailblazers in simulation. Our learning theory is grounded in research and we demand empirical evidence before concluding our efforts have been successful. We always look for ways to improve. We recognize we live in an imperfect world and we embrace our responsibility to promote shared understanding and elevate humankind.
We have the courage to be human
We are a fun-loving, driven team of developers, artists, entrepreneurs, operational masterminds, and technologists dedicated to the proposition that learning experiences can be powerful and playful. We recognize that we are more than a business; we are a community of unique individuals with a collective focus to improve human interactions through practice. It is through our humanity that we create better products and learning experiences for our partners.