Corporate Advisory & Banking Relationship Manager
At Brown Brothers Harriman, we believe no job is too big or small for any of us to handle if it helps our clients. We value passionate, committed people who enjoy collaborating with others to find new solutions to complex business challenges. We are looking for the type of person who speaks their mind, truly listens and steps outside their role to add value wherever they can, someone who is driven to get things done and views obstacles as an exciting challenge that demands a creative solution. Above all, we seek someone who takes great pride in their work and is inspired and motivated by their role in protecting and enhancing our clients’ financial well-being.
If you are looking for an entrepreneurial environment where you can learn and thrive, Brown Brothers Harriman is the right place for you.
Join us as a Corporate Advisory & Banking Relationship Manager (RM)
Brown Brothers Harriman is currently recruiting a Corporate Advisory & Banking RM in Philadelphia to join our Private Banking line of business. In this role you will have primary responsibility for building the Firm’s relationships with privately owned businesses and their owners. You will represent all aspects of the Private Banking (PB) line of business in interactions with clients, prospects, industry contacts and intermediaries. By working with business owners, their employees and other advisors, the Firm develops, maintains and grows multi-generational relationships with successful families.
As the Corporate Advisory & Banking RM, you will build a robust internal and external network to support business development. This would include close working relationships with the BBH Corporate Advisory Group, Private Wealth Management, Wealth Planning and the Private Equity team to further the development of new and existing relationships. In most instances, as the Corporate Advisory & Banking RM, you will be the fulcrum of the relationship with corporate clients, working closely with colleagues in other areas of PB.
You will have the opportunity to approach each client and prospect as a generalist on private business ownership, bringing knowledge of corporate finance, capital markets, capital structure, mergers and acquisitions, industry insights, and commercial lending to the dialogue, taking a long term, strategic perspective. You, along with your supporting colleagues, will also bring important issues to the forefront at the intersection of the business and the family, helping owners navigate governance, business and wealth succession. The nature of the position and BBH’s broad product and service offering enables you as the Corporate Advisory & Banking RM to take an entrepreneurial approach to creating invaluable relationships with business owners.
In this role, with the help of the Corporate Lending team you will originate new corporate credit opportunities in Private Banking. While the Corporate Lending team is responsible for underwriting the credit and managing the portfolio of existing credits, you will continue to have primary responsibility for the overall relationship as the RM. You will be responsible for following the credit quality of relationships where the firm has put its capital at risk, working with Credit and the Corporate Lending to ensure proper documentation and follow-up.
You will also be involved in longer-term projects within Private Banking that are designed to promote business within the region or vertical in conjunction with colleagues from other disciplines within the line of business.
Some of your key responsibilities include:
- Establishing and deepening relationships with owners of privately held businesses through a consultative approach and strategic dialogue to build a trusted advisor relationship.
- Marketing the BBH Private Banking value proposition and entire suite of BBH services, including Corporate Advisory & Banking, Private Wealth Management and Private Equity. This includes effectively leveraging the firm’s complementary needs-based services (wealth planning, family office services, corporate advisory, business governance and transition support, and philanthropy support) to acquire and deepen business owner relationships.
- Building a pipeline of “strategic prospects” and converting them into Lending and Private Wealth Management clients annually.
- Building a broad network of intermediaries, industry contacts and influencers.
- Through business development efforts, identifying interesting potential investments for the Private Equity team and facilitating those introductions.
- Deepening relationships with existing clients such that BBH becomes a trusted advisor to the owners using a corporate finance mindset.
- Growing revenue from all Private Banking sources for existing clients.
- Helping convert lending and advisory relationships to wealth management relationships.
- Providing strategic direction for the Corporate Advisory & Banking team in the Mid-Atlantic region, and contributing to the leadership of the Corporate Advisory & Banking group.
- Managing the performance of the Corporate Advisory & Banking team in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Working with other Corporate Advisory & Banking and Private Wealth management RMs to develop relationships by providing a senior presence where more experience is needed.
- Credit and Risk Management
- Assisting the Corporate Lenders by bringing company and industry knowledge to the underwriting.
- Working with Corporate Lenders to stay on top of company and industry changes in the credit portfolio
- BA/BS with GPA above 3.0. MBA or CFA preferred, but not required
- Management experience preferred
- 15 years’ financial services experience, preferably in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions or corporate lending
- A broad and deep network of non-institutionally owned businesses in the Mid-Atlantic region that have enterprise values exceeding $50 million
- Proven leadership
- Knowledge of financial markets
- Deep industry knowledge where appropriate
- Knowledge of private wealth management and how to differentiate providers and platforms
- Interpersonal maturity, confidence, and poise
- Strong organizational and written/oral communication skills
What We Offer :
- An entrepreneurial environment that embraces broad-mindedness and flexibility, values that are uncommon strengths of owner-operated firms
- The opportunity to participate in shaping an important part of the firm’s long-term strategy
- Direct collaboration with BBH partners and experts across all business areas around the world
- An environment that promotes teamwork across all lines of business and enables you to step outside your role to add value wherever you can
- Opportunities to grow your expertise, take on new challenges, and reinvent yourself—without leaving the firm
- A culture of inclusion that values each employee’s unique perspective
- A competitive compensation package that includes high-quality benefits program emphasizing good health, financial security, and peace of mind
- Rewarding work with the flexibility to enjoy personal and family experiences at every career stage
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to your community and help transform the lives of others
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state or local law.