Great education transforms lives. KIPP, the Knowledge Is Power Program, is a non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and career success, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
KIPP Foundation trains and develops outstanding educators to lead KIPP schools, provides tools, resources, and training for excellent teaching and learning, promotes innovation, and facilitates the exchange of insights and ideas within the KIPP network and with partners including: other charters, districts, colleges and universities, and non-profit organizations across the country.
Why work at KIPP?
By working for the KIPP Foundation, you help more students across the country receive the high-quality education they deserve. If you believe all children deserve great schools and programs where they can gain the knowledge, skills, character, and habits necessary to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place, please join us!
The Event Design and Operation Team (EDO) provides planning and execution support for programs across teams at the KIPP Foundation. Our goal is to ensure that events (live, virtual, hybrid) are supported from start to finish and executed seamlessly and consistently across teams.
The EDO team is a high functioning team with keen attention to detail that provides thought partnership and appropriate logistical support. The EDO team is responsible for planning and executing high quality events by managing logistical details, stakeholder communication, program evaluation support, and critical financial functions.
We are seeking a highly organized Event Design and Operations Coordinator with a passion for anti-racism and equity. This role is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Director, Event Design and Operations. He/she/they is a member of the EDO Team and will work collaboratively with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team.
The candidate should enjoy planning and executing on programming events and special projects and be eager to work with multiple high-level stakeholders in a fast-paced environment. A successful candidate will have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, strong written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to adapt as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team’s projects expand.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Create and manage, with support, an integrated project management plan across multiple work streams
- Create deadlines for each project, ensuring colleagues complete key action steps by target date
- Manage project expenses, with support, at or below budget, maximizing profitability, and identifying opportunities to reduce costs or reallocate resources
- Secure and schedule regional site visits
- Consolidate and organize resources on the KIPP Share Equity platform
- Coordinate a range of special projects to be determined
- Compose and deliver event communication, including the programming agenda, logistical information for instructors, participants, and team, and other event-related documents
- Monitor attendee registration and enhance each event’s success by driving adequate attendance
- Research, secure, manage and evaluate vendors to provide needed services at live and virtual events within purchasing and operating guidelines and within budget
- Develop creative and resourceful ideas to enhance the audience experience
- Provide speaker and facilitator support and coordination
- Design event evaluations and summarize trends/results with stakeholders
For virtual events:
- Manage logistics and delivery of real-time virtual events via Zoom and other digital platforms
- Provide tech support for event hosts and attendees via phone, chat, and/or video chat during the event
- Train and provide technical guidance to other team members and support teams as needed
For live events:
- Execute all event related operations, including set-up, registration, session logistics, off-site social activities/dinners, break-down, and ordering/shipping materials
- Oversee external vendors, including hotel, catering, and transportation vendors prior to and during events to ensure that events run smoothly
- Monitor operations team supplies and materials including printing, packing, and shipping materials
Drive Results: Planning and Execution
- Detail oriented, execution focused and an ability to see the big picture while managing every detail
Drive Results: Continuous Learning
- Proactively takes initiative and continually seeks opportunities to improve systems and processes
Build Relationships: Cultural Awareness and Competency
- Creates an inclusive environment that respects the culture and community of the students being served
Build Relationships: Stakeholder Management
- Team player; able to impact and influence others to get their work done
- Demonstrated successful experiences managing a project and/or managing stakeholders
- Experience managing in-person and/or virtual events preferred.
- Demonstrated passion in the field of anti-racism, equity, and anti-oppressive practices.
- Committed to the belief that outstanding school leaders and teachers can achieve excellent outcomes for all students, and energized by working with leaders in K-12 education.
- Previous project management experience preferred.
- Maintains a positive, service-oriented mindset and an eagerness to learn.
- Demonstrated professional finesse that will allow you to successfully handle the unique and ever evolving needs of our facilitators (many of whom are high profile) and attendees.
- A demonstrated ability to roll with the punches and handle the unknown.
- Proficiency with Survey Monkey, Qualtrics, Cvent, Zoom and Microsoft Office Suite.
Location is flexible as position is remote. We also have offices in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.
35% travel post-COVID
Compensation and Benefits
KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and PTO, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement are also offered by KIPP.
KIPP Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.