Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need.
Job Summary: Prepares and cooks meals in accordance with NYC Dept. of Health and NYS OCFS requirements. Maintain cleanliness and safety in all areas of food handling, appliances, storage of supplies and cooking utensils space.
- Will develop menus in collaboration with nutritionist/dietician, and input from NSPand Group Home youth ensuring that the meals are well balanced and meet dietary needs of residents
- Prepares and purchases food based on menu.
- Prepare meals daily for residents (up to 16 residents) and record menu substitutions.
- Prepares holiday meals for residents and families.
- Monitors amount of food consumed by residents and maintain proper nutritional standards.
- Makes available food in the appropriate amount for substitute cook.
- Cleans up after meals (pots, pans, dishes, silverware, sink, stove) and disposes of garbage.
- Maintains cleanliness of the facility and outside grounds.
- Defrosts and cleans refrigerators and freezers as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness and safety in all areas of food handling, appliances, storage of supplies and eating and cooking utensil space.
- Helps to create a climate of comfort and trust with residents.
- Report immediately to Site Director any problem or accident occurring in the kitchen.
- Report any faulty or inferior quality food which is received from food vendor.
- Keep written records of all meals served.
- Maintain the kitchen’s inventory ordering just enough to make sure necessary ingredients are always on hand without any going to waste, and making sure everything is stored properly for safety and space efficiency.
- Other related tasks that may be assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Food Handler Certification required within first week of hire and recertified as needed demonstrate understanding and ability to follow the health codes pertaining to safety and sanitation of the work area and cooking utensils; personal grooming; and how to properly prepare food.
- 2+ years experience with food handling required
- Ability to relate to juvenile offenders
- Must be able to pass required Safe Crisis Management (SCM) training.
Positions available The Bronx.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all direct care worker and standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to hands-on care with consumers, climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift and move consumers (if necessary) up to 200 lbs, ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30 lbs. Ability to perform physical restraint of youth using approved restraint techniques. Physical and PPD clearances required and reevaluated annually.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.00 per hour
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Cooking: 1 year (Required)
- Residental ,Group or Day Care: 1 year (Required)
- Food Handler Certification (Required)