The Cook 1 is a member of the Food & Beverage Team and is responsible for food preparation, cooking, and serving. This position reports to the Kitchen Manager or Executive Chef.
- Work and master one kitchen station; accepts responsibility for personal decisions and actions.
- Ensure superior standards of service meet the requirements of guests and employees.
- Proactive in exceeding guest satisfaction.At times it may be necessary to investigate, quickly respond to, and resolve challenges from guests or employees.
- Follow cleaning schedule and checklist daily to ensure a clean and sanitary environment.
- Familiar with food preparation, cooking, and serving techniques; must be able to read cooking instructions.
- Wash, peel, cut, and shred vegetables and fruits to prepare them for use.
- Measure and mix ingredients according to recipe to prepare soups, salads, gravies, desserts, sauces, and casseroles.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods; adjust thermostat controls to regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, roasters, and steam kettles.
- Observe and test foods being cooked by tasting, smelling, and noticing the visual appearance.
- Carve meats, portion food on serving plates, add gravies and sauces, and garnish servings to fill orders.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Must be highly customer oriented and responsive with high need for closure.
- Able to work under pressure and balance multiple priorities and assignments.
- Strong team-building skills including the ability to lead, cooperate, and motivate.
- Must be role model and able to live our BlueStar core values:
- Honesty and Integrity
- Respect for the Individual
- Competitive Spirit
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS:
- High School diploma, or equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
- Minimum of one year cooking experience in commercial kitchen.
- Current Food Handlers card.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or team members.
- Ability to think, work, solve practical problems, and make independent decisions, based on sound judgment.
- Must demonstrate initiative and accept responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, and a team player.
- Must be able to pay attention to multiple details and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where continuous improvement is expected.
- This position requires a flexible schedule to include evenings and weekends.
This position typically operates in an indoor kitchen environment, but may also work at a kitchen station set up for outdoor events and be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. Kitchens are housed with equipment, such as an oven, stove, dishwasher, slicer, coffee machine, steamer, mixer and chef’s knives. The employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, fire and noise. The noise level varies and can be loud. Outdoor environments may require walking on a variety of terrains while carrying items and navigating typical event obstacles, including, but not limited to, groups of people, table set ups and decorations, plants and the natural landscape.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear, taste and smell, sit, stand and walk for the duration of a work shift, bend, kneel or stoop, use hands to fingers, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. Frequent hand washing is required. The employee must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The position requires manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills, and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures in a fast-paced environment.
BLUESTAR RESORT & GOLF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER