The Port of Kingston is currently seeking a talented and hands-on Controller to join our port operations team.
The Controller is responsible for the oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities for the Port of Kingston. This is a key role and a member of the Port’s leadership team working with the Executive Director, Port Operations and Board of Commissioners.
The Controller will lead the accounting operations for the Port and develop a comprehensive set of controls, systems and procedures to mitigate risk and ensure accurate financial reporting. This position is responsible for general accounting, cash management, payroll, budget creation and maintenance, audit preparation, forecasting revenues and expenditures in adherence with GAAP and BARS accounting principles.
- Manage full cycle accounting operations, ensuring the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including month-end closing, G/L postings, bank reconciliation, A/P and A/R reconciliation to G/L and P/L.
- Prepare and analyze financial statements, GL, budgets and cash flows.
- Prepare and process bi-weekly payroll, payroll journal entries, reconciliation of general ledger accounts and oversee all quarterly and annual payroll tax filings.
- Oversee the activities of A/R, A/P functions to ensure accurate and timely management of accounts.
- Maintain Port investment accounts, transferring funds and paying bond funds in a timely fashion.
- Partner with Port leadership in the annual budgeting planning and financial forecasting process.
- Conduct financial analysis for capital investments, contract negotiations and pricing determinations.
- Establish, document and maintain a system of controls for accounting transactions including internal controls and safeguard of assets and bond covenants.
- Direct third-party financial audits, preparation and scheduling. Provide procedural improvements recommendations.
- Oversee human resources related duties, to include maintenance of personnel files, compliance related reporting and point of contact for employee relations matters.
- Oversee procurement and contracts, vendor management, policies and procedures.
- Manage administration and communication of employee benefits program and financial reporting.
- Prepare annual financial statements and support documentation for external auditor review.
- Maintain reporting compliance to ensure accurate and timely completion of all local, state, and federal government reporting and tax filings.
Education and Experience
- Ten or more years’ progressive hands-on experience in accounting roles. Government sector experience desired.
- Solid comprehension of US GAAP and BARS accounting principles
- Demonstrated knowledge of both cash and accrual accounting methods
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- CPA/CMA designation preferred
- Experience with ERP systems highly desired; Knowledge of QuickBooks a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite with expert level Excel skills required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Communication. You have impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to effectively deliver content and convey financial messaging to diverse audiences, including the Board of Commissioners.
Work Excellence. You set high quality standards and strive for continuous improvement and quality assurance with all deliverables.
Collaborative and Inclusive. You are a team player with the ability to work collaboratively and comfortably with internal and external stakeholders who have diverse skills and experience. This includes the board, other Port leaders, government officials, regulatory agencies, tenants and the public.
Bias for Action. You are able push ideas to completion and make them happen. You empower others to continuously refine and improve processes for the betterment of all stakeholders. You encourage accountability for yourself and others and value action over inaction.
Professional Know-How. You effectively apply professional knowledge to solve a range of problems. You possess an in-depth knowledge and skill in accounting/finance. You are sought out as an expert to provide advice or solutions. You maintain a high level of integrity, confidentiality and dependability.
Analytical and Logical. You’re quantitative and qualitative and able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information and tell the story through data. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
About the Port of Kingston
The Port of Kingston’s mission is to enhance the economic and social well-being of the Port District Residents by support of the economy, and by providing a waterfront facility for recreation and leisure activities. For more information go to www.portofkingston.org
The Port offers a great waterfront workplace setting, friendly team and competitive compensation package. We offer an extensive benefits package to include, time-off, fully covered healthcare coverage for employees, generous pension program, and employee development opportunities.
The Port of Kingston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 10 years (Preferred)
- controller: 10 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts