Union Power Plant Operations/Mining Careers
Control Room Operator Coal Fired Power Plants Responsibilities for this position include:
- A Control Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of boiler, steam driven generation equipment and associated auxiliary equipment.
- A Control Operator is a journeyman employee who directly operates and performs tasks associated with a coal fired generation plant and directs the safe and efficient operation of coal fired boilers, steam driven turbine/generators and all associated auxiliary equipment.
- Under the direction of a Shift Supervisor, the Control Operator works with and directs work of plant operators, and operator trainees.
- At times the Control Operator assists with the training of plant operators.
- Responsible for the routine and emergency operation of the generating unit.
- Delegated representative responsible for execution and monitoring of the Generation Lockout/Tagout procedure.
- Interfaces directly with Grid Operations and Generation Dispatching personnel.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- One to three years related experience and/or training as a coal fired power plant Control Operator; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A Control Operator has satisfactorily met all qualifications specified by the Company. These qualifications include but are not limited to the ability to operate and oversee the safe operation of coal fired boilers, steam driven turbine generators and all related equipment.
- A Control Operator must have a thorough knowledge of generating equipment, combustion equipment operation and thermal heat rate principles.
- Individuals in this position must have the ability to successfully direct the duties of other plant operators.
- Ability to troubleshoot system problems.
- Good communication skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. This position may require the use of hard hats, eye protection, protective gloves, long sleeved shirts, and steel toe shoes.
Respirator Use: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee will be required to wear a disposable filter mask 1/3 of the time. Required to wear a half face piece mask 1/3 of the time. Full face piece mask 1/3 of the time, and self-contained breathing apparatus 1/3 of the time.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk
or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with
hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and/ or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /
or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following:
- 2 years of experience as a Plant Control Operator
- Proven computer skills and a working knowledge of distributive control systems
Req ID: 27840
Primary Location: Point of Rocks, WY
Department: Jim Bridger Plant, Operations
Personnel Subarea: Union
Hiring Range: 41.54
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without an accommodation.
At PacifiCorp, we encourage everyone to work together. We embrace diversity and value the distinct perspectives of all our employees. We strive to cultivate a workplace that connects each employee to the organization and enables all individuals to participate and contribute to their full potential.
It is PacifiCorp’s policy to provide and promote equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants in accordance with local, state and federal laws and regulations governing personnel activities. In accordance with federal guidelines, PacifiCorp is committed to a program of affirmative action. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screening.