An Equal Opportunity Employer
OPENING DATE: 02/05/2021
CLOSING DATE: 02/21/2021
STARTING SALARY: $35.4942/hr. – $38.2062/hr.
SALARY RANGE: $35.4942/hr. – $44.2676/hr.
DESCRIPTION: This position participates in the planning, design, administration, and
post-project activities of City construction projects. This position inspects municipal
construction projects to ensure conformance with City standards while reducing nuisance
to affected residents and businesses. This position acts as a representative for the City
with contractors and citizens affected by construction. We will consider candidates with
less experience. Please apply.
Our values: Your contribution:
Collaboration: we value people and • Coordinate with team members effectively
perspectives to complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Work with public works divisions staff to
ensure City standards are met during
Innovation: we are on the leading edge • Leverage electronic construction
management system effectively for
accurate record keeping
- Leverage technology (e.g. laptops, GPS
unit, etc.) in the field to maximize accuracy
and efficiency of project record keeping
Excellence: we expect the best • Ensure longevity of City infrastructure
through inspection of projects and working
- Produce accurate records for reference on
future maintenance and infrastructure
- Act as a go-between for residents and
contractors to provide excellent customer
service with quality construction
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The most critical work to be done in the job.
to ensure good quality and longevity of improvements.
- Inspect construction while enforcing City standards.
- Collaborate with contractors to ensure clean, safe, and accessible construction sites
- Inspect and enforce erosion control requirements to project the City’s natural
- Informs Project Manager of significant matters on construction projects to take
- Promote a safe work environment by performing tasks in a safe manner and utilizing
personal protective equipment.
- Gathers infrastructure condition data through preliminary structure inspections.
- Drafts project plans using computer aided design software.
- Prepares cost estimates for projects.
- Drafts project specifications and construction documents.
- Respectfully communicates scope of project to property owners and keeps them
- Solves problems that arise on construction projects through collaboration with the
- Responds to customer inquiries and concerns related to engineering matters.
- Provides post-construction marked up plans for completion of record drawings.
- Makes CAD and/or GIS modifications as part of preliminary design and/or record
- Maintains daily construction diary and item record accounts.
- Prepares monthly construction contract payment estimates.
People manager of the following:
What is encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to work in extreme conditions, both cold and hot, outside and inside construction
- Ability to assess and evaluate hazardous situations safely.
- Work with employees and/or the public that may be irritated or upset.
- Ability to work in office and outdoor settings.
Factors affecting how essential functions are successfully performed.
- Ability to bend, climb ladders, and stand for sustained periods of time.
- Ability to drive city vehicle.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain outside or unfinished areas inside.
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to walk and carry equipment up to 100 feet on occasion.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (We will consider candidates with less experience.)
- Graduation from high school or equivalent and graduation from a technical
school in Civil Engineering Technology or related field and four (4) years of
public roadway and utility construction inspections experience.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent and a minimum of eight (8) years of
combined education and experience in public infrastructure.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of municipal construction project standards and methods.
- Ability to effectively observe, comment upon, and follow-up on the work of
- Ability to utilize CAD, GIS, RT Vision, Microsoft Office, and other computer programs
- Ability to perform the essential job functions independently and without direct
- Ability to work on Saturdays as-needed when construction activities are occurring
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to guide and mentor engineering technicians and engineering interns on
construction methods, handling contractors, and providing excellent customer
- Experience inspecting State Aid-funded projects.
- Training and Experience Rating
- Oral Interview
- Other testing as appropriate
- Must pass a drug test and background check
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
100 Civic Center Parkway
Burnsville, MN 55337