The City of Garden City Recreation Department is accepting applications for the Communication Specialist position. The position is responsible for marketing and communication materials for outlets to include website, newsletters, social media, and other communication tools. The position is also resonsible for media and community relations, and advises the department on internal and external communication issues. The position also assists with special projects and administrative tasks for the Department.
- Responsible for films and video content for the Recreation Department; includes conceptualizing ideas, storyboarding, script-writing, editing, etc.
- Maintains strong relationships with management, departments, elected officials, media representatives, peer agencies and members of the community in order to ensure that relevant and timely issues are being addressed.
- Writes, designs and produces print and digital publications and news releases to educate and inform stakeholders on Recreation programs, services and performance.
- Develop, design and collaborate with City staff in creating graphics for Recreation programs.
- Responsibile for photography and videography which includes attending events, editing and designing final products, and meeting project deadlines.
- Assists in executing project plans to support the ongoing needs of the Recreation Department.
- Helps assess the communications needs of Recreation staff, City Departments and other stakeholders. Assists in preparing feasibility studies for possible new communications resources; makes recommendations based on the needs of communications users.
- Assists City Commission, City staff and members of the public in media and community relations as directed by supervisor.
- Assists with the planning and promotion of special events in coordination with the Recreation Department and other agencies.
- Build and execute social media strategy through capturing and analyzing social data/metrics, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification.
- Perform regular accessibility audit and evaluation of the Recreation website.
- Collaborates with City IT & Communication staff on special projects, events or publications.
The position requires a high school diploma and a valid driver's license. The position also requires a Bachelor's degree in Communications or related field and 2 years of experience in mass commuication, media coverage, or public relations. Other desirable skills include the ability to use technology as a primary means of communication.