The College-Persistence Counselor serves in the College-Persistence (CP) Office at Chicago Jesuit Academy. We are looking for someone eager to accompany our alumni on their unique paths to meaningful employment by supporting them throughout high school, their post-secondary education and the start of their careers. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing a caseload of CJA students and alumni and executing the department’s core programs as described below.
The person in this position works in close partnership with the Director of College Persistence, the Vice President of College Persistence and the CP Team. The position occasionally requires non-traditional work hours to run evening or weekend events and respond to alumni needs as they arise.
The College-Persistence Counselor will:
- Support the high-school admissions process and summer-program placements for current CJA students
- Coordinate services and supports for various alumni issues, including high-school success, tutoring, transfers, college- admissions advising, crisis management, and application support for jobs, internships and summer programs.
- Visit students at their current schools and assess the level of care being provided by these schools.
- Assist in executing alumni summer programming, including the high school and college bridge workshops, summer work programs, SAT/ACT prep course, college visits and employment support.
- Conduct individual and group parent meetings with current students and alumni.
- Update, maintain, and maintain the confidentiality of alumni in the College-Persistence Salesforce database.
- Actively communicate with and engage families in events and programming.
- Build and maintain relationships with partner schools and community organizations.
- Support CJA’s development efforts by sharing our work with friends and benefactors who support the scholarship needs of
CJA students and the ongoing needs of CJA alumni.
- Execute other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will believe in the long-term care of students and an education that forms the whole person — cura personalis in the Jesuit tradition. This person will have strong communication and organizational skills. Experience teaching or in a social-services organization is preferred.
The application can be found on our website: www.cjacademy.org
Mission: Chicago Jesuit Academy (CJA) is a full-scholarship lower and middle school for young men from modest economic backgrounds who could not otherwise access a well-resourced, faith-based college prep education in the Catholic tradition. We support and advocate for CJA students and alumni as well as other children of modest means as they progress to and through college prep high schools, post-secondary education and the transition to meaningful careers and citizenship. CJA invites students to become persons for others who aspire to be open to growth, loving, intellectually competent, religious and committed to doing justice.
Means: Located in the Austin neighborhood on Chicago’s West Side, CJA enrolls students without regard for their past levels of academic achievement. We use small
class sizes, rigorous extended school days and an 11-month school year to develop each student as a whole person in accord with the Jesuit mission and tradition. CJA
shares best practices with other schools, and we partner with the broader community to promote access to better educational resources and a deeper understanding of the obstacles to educational equity. The disciplined sacrifices of CJA’s students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff, volunteers and benefactors make the success of our mission possible.
_ Non-discrimination Policy: Chicago Jesuit Academy, in accordance with our Jesuit tradition, is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, _
staff and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs and activities, without regard to an individual’s
race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex (except in matters of admission and enrollment), gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristic or military status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the CJA community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected identity.
The Gies Campus of Chicago Jesuit Academy | 5058 West Jackson Boulevard | Chicago, IL 60644-4324 www.cjacademy.org |(phone) 773.638.6103 | (fax) 773.638.6107
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Bachelor's (Required)
- One location
- Waiting period may apply
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place