Note: The position title has been updated to Cloud Engineer III.
The University of Arizona University Information Technology Services Department is accepting applications for the position of Cloud Engineer, Senior. This technical position will help drive the UA’s development of Cloud strategy by designing and implementing solutions that leverage the power of cloud resources. We are looking for a talented, creative individual to join the Enterprise Cloud Services Team, a focused and energetic group responsible for managing University of Arizona enterprise services in the Public and Private Cloud.
This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please click here.
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build out and improve the reliability and performance of UA services using cloud technologies focused on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Collaborate with Cloud Architects and DevOps teams in the development of integrated, automated, orchestrated and application-oriented architectures for on-prem and cloud-based services.
- Research, operationalize, and train others in the use of cloud technologies and best practices
- Act as a resource for application teams to adopt cloud architecture and leverage industry-leading public cloud providers.
- Enhance and evangelize DevOps principles such as infrastructure as code, continuous integration and delivery, and designing for failure.
- Help drive operational maturity by developing and building custom cloud integrations between services such as monitoring, data protection, enterprise and customer systems.
- Analyze, recommend, test and implement best practices for securing University cloud infrastructure
- Evaluate systems and applications software including the impact of software updates and patches.
- Participate in maintaining data recoverability; implement, automate, and maintain data backup and disaster recovery procedures for on-premises and multi-cloud environments.
- Analyze and determine the cause of systems software failures, hardware failures, and performance deficiencies.
- Coordinate, plan and perform hardware maintenance and repair as needed.
- Establish, document, and implement system guidelines, practices, procedures, and standards.
- Research and resolve questions from users, management and other technical staff.
- Coordinate systems maintenance with other internal/external teams and systems administrators.
- Act as a subject-matter expert, providing guidance and consulting services in the area of cloud technologies; serve as a Level 3 escalation point; resolve escalations and be available to work extended and/or alternative hours as needed for rollouts, system upgrades, problem remediation, etc.
- Participate in a 24×7, on-call, system support rotation.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge and experience with core AWS technologies.
- Knowledge of current computer security practices and network protocols.
- Linux and Windows server experience in an enterprise environment including performance, capacity and user/group management.
- Self-motivated, results-oriented with a demonstrated ability to design, collaborate and deliver robust enterprise IT services from need to production.
- A strong track record of understanding and interest in current and emerging technologies demonstrated through training, job experience, and/or industry activities.
- Ability to work as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to quickly learn new skills and technologies.
- Ability to multi-task between multiple complex projects and operational requests.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Datacenter equipment maintenance.
- Ability to occasionally bend, squat, climb short ladders and lift 30 lbs. without assistance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or a related area AND two years of progressive information technology experience in area of assignment which may include systems administration, network systems administration, applications design/development;
- Five years of progressive information technology experience in area of assignment which may include systems administration, network systems administration, applications design/development; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Significant experience with AWS infrastructure, design, and architecture
- Experience with Amazon compute technologies (EC2, RDS, Lambda)
- Experience with cloud automation technologies (AWS CloudFormation, Ansible, AWS Code Build, Jenkins)
- Experience with configuration management (Chef, Puppet), containerization (AWS ECS, Docker), and source code management tools (Subversion, RCS, Git)
- Experience with core AWS roles and permissions (AWS IAM)
- Experience with virtual server infrastructure (VMware, Hyper-V)
- Experience with configuring and administering Linux and Windows servers in medium to large scale environments
- Experience with one or more higher level programming languages (Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, Bash, PowerShell, etc.)
- Experience with Disaster Recovery planning, review, and testing
- Experience automating cloud and SaaS software and services, providing an orchestration model for service delivery
- Experience with enterprise SAN and NAS storage administration
- Strong, recent experience with the following technologies and services:
o Multi-cloud orchestration along with automation development and integration
o Networking: DNS, DHCP, VLANs, TCP/IP, firewall, switches, routing, load balancing
o Backup and Replication
o Patch management/deployment
- Familiarity with modern software development processes such as Agile, Scrum, Kanban.
- Familiarity with email administration (Postfix, listserv management, secure email gateways)
- Familiarity with database management system administration (MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL)
- Familiarity with Apache administration and web application development.
- Familiarity with Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
FLSA Exempt Full Time/Part Time Full Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 40 Job Category Computer, Engineering and Technical Benefits Eligible Yes – Full Benefits Posted Rate of Pay $52,000 – $70,000