The Clinical Specialist is primarily responsible for helping ensure a great patient experience by preparing the patient for their examination, completing pre-exam diagnostics test, and explaining each step of the process. Act as a liaison between our patients and Optometrists and participate in the initial steps of a patient journey.
Telemedicine locations: Act as a liaison between our patients and remote Telehealth Optometrists to provide a positive patient experience safely and efficiently in accordance with standard telehealth operating procedures.
Compliance to all Covid-19 protocols including, but not limited to:
a. Observe best-in-class behaviors as it relates to social distancing and COVID 19 protocols: Ensure chairs in waiting area are six (6) feet apart, to ensure recommended separation, where possible.
b. Ensure patients understand the importance of social distancing and comply with PPE usage protocols.
c. Enforce cleaning protocols and cleaning hygiene practices: frequent handwashing, not shaking hands, cover nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing, avoid touching eyes / nose / mouth with unwashed hands with patients and associates.
d. Prior to patients’ scheduled appointments ensure that all intake/screening questions are complete.
1. Assist the doctor with patient care and eye examinations.
2. Clearly explain the preliminary testing process to patients, administer each test, and accurately document the results in EMR.
3. After exam, transition the patient to a retail associate, conveying the recommendations of the doctor to the retail associate,.
4. Schedule appointments and manage exam books according to Company guidelines, call appointments in accordance with company policy to confirm time. Contact no shows and cancellations, Complete nightly patient readiness tasks
5. Have a basic understanding of MVC plans and be able to articulate plan benefits to patients.
6. Preauthorize insurance in accordance with standard operating procedures.
7. Maintain patient flow to allow for doctor effectiveness.
8. Answer patients’ clinical questions in person and over the telephone. Triage ocular emergencies. Schedule annual eye exams
9. Maintain complete and accurate patient records according to Company standards.
10. Instruct patients on the insertion, removal, cleaning, care, and proper handling of their contact lenses.
11. Place diagnostic contact lens orders for patients and stock. Notify patients when their contact lenses are available for dispensing.
12. Have a working knowledge of contact lens brands and parameters. Accurately pull contact lenses trials when requested by the doctor.
13. Clean and maintain equipment in the pretesting room and exam lanes. Cover equipment nightly
14. Maintain clinical supplies and ensure inventory is not expired.
15. Ability to work flexible schedules to meet changing business demands to include traveling to other locations.
- One (1) year of related experience
- Optical or Healthcare background preferred
- Medical Office/business professionalism required
- HS diploma, GED or equivalent related job experience
- Patient advocate
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to initiate immediate interaction, coordination, and collaboration with patients and team members
- Very detail orientated and well organized
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with other associates and patients
- Energetic and self-motivated
- Team player
- Excelling problem solving ability
- Ability to multi-task
- Exhibit empathy in all interactions
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret insurance forms
- Work changing schedules to meet business demands to include travel between stores
- Work inside location
- Read English
- Work under stress with interruptions and deadlines
- Follow procedures and instructions
- Use computer effectively and view computer screen
- Reach above shoulder continuously
HIPAA & Security Requirements
All Associates must comply with the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as it pertains to disclosures of protected health information (PHI) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures. As a component of job roles and responsibilities, Associates may have access to covered information, cardholder data or other confidential customer information which must be protected at all times. As a result, Associates must explicitly adhere to all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Privacy & Security Training Program.
Visionworks is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, ethnicity, disability or veteran status, or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. As required by changing business needs, complete additional essential responsibilities as identified and assigned.