Individual contributor providing claim oversight and litigation management services of ceded liabilities for legacy asbestos and pollution claims to National Indemnity Company (“NICO”) under a Loss Portfolio Transfer (“LPT”) Agreement. Position is responsible for engaging directly with Resolute Management (“Resolute”) who has assumed the claim handling and other administrative responsibilities for those claims, establishing greater transparency into the claims and meaningful involvement in targeted and/or high exposure accounts. The person in this role shall assist in the company’s day-to-day oversight of Resolute’s claim handling and in development of CNA’s long-term strategic approach.
**Location: Open to all CNA Office locations
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Oversees NICO/Resolute’s daily claim handling and litigation management, ensuring strong results and contractual compliance with all provisions of the LPT Agreement.
- Provides oversight and guidance for the monitoring and evaluating of applicable NICO/Resolute activities by ensuring services are performed in accordance with corporate policy, strategic direction and contract provisions, and recommends changes and improvements where applicable.
- Oversees claim investigations handled by NICO/Resolute, including liability, damages and coverage by determining overall claim strategy, monitoring developments and providing guidance to resolve claims. Engages directly with Resolute counterparts to ensure results.
- Manages NICO/Resolute’s overall litigation strategy on claims, coverage or outside counsel by monitoring trials, tracking legal and regulatory developments, advising management and claim professionals regarding issues, approaches and impact of changes.
- Participates in CNA’s annual reserve study with respect to legacy asbestos and pollution claims, collaborating closely with legal and actuarial partners at CNA and engaging directly with Resolute to obtain information necessary for actuarial review.
- Engages directly with in-house counsel at CNA and Resolute, as well as external counsel representing CNA on coverage issues; provides insight and helps develop legal positions by conducting research and legal analysis and by offering counsel and guidance on complex legal or claim handling questions or issues.
- May participate with senior management in the development and implementation of short and long-term strategy for NICO Oversight by contributing to planning efforts.
- Tracks, interprets and communicates claim and financial data by working with Actuaries and Claim. Becomes proficient in NICO/Resolute and CNA systems and applications. Assists in reporting developments to senior management.
- Oversees and directs the handling of claims and litigation involving Mixed Accounts (those with policies both covered and not covered by the LPT) by collaborating with either internal or external resources as necessary.
- Becomes subject matter expert in LPT Agreement; Involved in the preparation and presentation of training on LPT Agreement and matters relating thereto.
- Monitors emerging trends by remaining current on industry news and developments within functional area of expertise, sharing information with management, internal and external business partners as appropriate.
- Demonstrates leadership and good judgment, while contributing to a culture of inclusiveness, teamwork, and employee engagement.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Advanced technical and product specific expertise, claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
- Strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
- Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
- Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to evaluate claims based on a cost benefit analysis.
- Ability to fully comprehend complex claim facts and issues; and to further articulate analyses of claims in presentations to business partners and management as well as in internal reports.
- Ability to implement strategies with a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree with JD preferred
- Admission to the bar of at least one state preferred.
- Typically a minimum eight years claims experience.
Primary LocationUnited States
Organization Claims-Tech Liability-NICO
Job Posting Feb 5, 2021
Unposting Date Ongoing