Imagine you are an independent owner & operator of a local franchise restaurant. Two female employees complain to you that their male supervisor is sexually harassing them. You investigate and determine the complaints are legitimate. You terminate the supervisor for cause. Two months later, you receive a Complaint of Discrimination from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), in which the supervisory employee complains that you terminated him based upon his race. The EEOC ultimately demands $75,000 on his behalf. What do you do? Call your Employment Practices Liability insurance company … and speak with a qualified Claims Attorney, who will secure legal representation to help you defend against these baseless allegations and mitigate any financial exposure.
The Tokio Marine HCC – Cyber & Professional Lines Group is seeking a self-motivated Claims Attorney to join our growing Claims Department and manage Employment Practices Liability claims.
If you are looking to enhance your legal career and/or insurance industry experience in a fast-paced, ever-expanding insurance company, we have an exciting opportunity to join our Employment Practices Liability Claims team in either our Mount Kisco, NY or Encino, CA offices.
The Cyber & Professional Lines Group, a member of Tokio Marine HCC, is a long-time industry leader in offering private sector Employment Practices Liability Insurance to small and middle market business owners throughout the United States.
This position involves interpretation of coverage and requires collaboration with and management of outside counsel in analyzing and resolving claims within designated limits of authority. The Claims Attorney is responsible for investigating and analyzing liability and damages exposure, drafting and issuance of coverage position letters, and development of strategies for resolution of litigated and non-litigated Employment Practices Liability claims. The Claims Attorney is also responsible for determination of probable loss exposure and establishment of reserves, as well as maintenance of claim files and documents in accordance with Company policy and procedure. This individual will report directly to the Employment Practices Liability Claims Manager and will work claims with limited supervision from his or her desk.
- Gain understanding of the insurance policies and department procedures and systems: During the first 30 days, understand how the claims department operates within the Tokio Marine HCC structure through direct training and interactions with different claims staff, underwriters and brokers. Be able to navigate the claims systems and claims of limited complexity and exposure.
- Be proficient in insured/broker communications and develop skills needed to work independently: During the first 60 to 90 days, develop confidence in contacting insureds, performing independent investigations, and communicating the Company’s coverage position. Be able to manage all aspects of a growing inventory of claims while working more independently.
- Succeed in an independent working environment: Within 6 months, work independently drafting own coverage letters, completing authority requests when needed, and resolve claims as appropriate within defined authority with limited management oversight.
Experience & Education
- Educational requirements
- Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- Two (2) to (5) years of relevant legal experience, or two-plus (2+) years of relevant claims handling experience.
- Technical Skills
- Intermediate proficiency and experience in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Key Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced organizational and analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, managing time and resources to accomplish multiple tasks in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to conduct oneself professionally in varied business settings.
Travel Expectations (if applicable)
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking energetic and confident individuals to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies is an equal-opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.
Job Type: Full-time
- claims handling: 2 years (Preferred)
- relevant legal: 2 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off