1. Provide direct assistance and serve as strategic advisor to the President of the College. Serve as a resource and point of contact for key constituents to resolve complex issues and move forward strategic priorities. Identify special projects, issues or problem areas; research and organize related materials; coordinate with appropriate administrators, report progress and/or results to the President.
2. Serve as the primary liaison within the Office of the President for parents, students, and alumni, as well as faculty, staff, and administrators; and as a supplementary [or secondary] contact for alumni, trustees and other friends of the college; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support. Strengthen and maintain relationships and inform the President, and relevant Vice Presidents, on constituent relations.
3. Facilitate a strategic management process and provide expertise and program management for specific strategic initiatives out of the President’s office that are critical in meeting the College’s strategic planning goals. Oversee all aspects of Presidential Fellows Program, which enables faculty, staff and students to have the opportunity to develop professionally while advancing the strategic priorities of the college. Interact with colleagues across the college, particularly the Provost and the VP of HR and Planning, to ensure alignment and synergy with the strategic plan.
4. Interact with members at all levels of the College community for the purpose of defining, advancing and assessing the work of the Office of the President to ensure continued effectiveness. Serve as liaison to the Board of Trustees on key executive matters as delegated by the President.
5. Exercise considerable judgment in analyzing policy issues, identifying College-wide impacts and coordinating responses to the President on strategies and alternatives for dealing with issues; Prepare and or contribute to the preparation of reports, proposals, briefing, presentations, and responses on college and strategic issues. At the direction of the President, assist in all aspects of College administration.
6. Participate in key meetings with faculty, administrators, and others; accurately represent the President’s position in internal meetings and discussions to help drive understanding and move decision-making forward.
7. Serve as a member of the senior leadership team; Organize senior leadership team retreats, meetings and team development opportunities. Alert key college officials on matters of sensitivity and/or importance as they come to the attention of the Office of the President. Leverage relationships and utilize analytical skills to stay aware of and/or anticipate issues that may impact the campus and/or potential problems. Maintain strict confidentiality.
8. Assemble information and develop nuanced perspectives for potential responses to questions or suggestions about the college. Respond on behalf of the president in addressing complaints, questions or inquiries submitted to the Office of the President; review draft messages from the president based on agreed points to be made. Manage items from the [email protected] email account that need to be escalated.
9. Work in collaboration with the appropriate budget and finance individual(s) in overseeing and managing the budget of the Office of the President; including restricted accounts. Assist in preparing the office operational budget; oversee staff who monitor the processing and reconciliation of expenses to include requisitions, balance transfers, and processing of payroll information. Ensure that decisions made are fiscally sound and in line with the financial targets and goals of the Office of the President.
10. Develop, demonstrate, and promote multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion as a college priority, communicate to employees an expectation of behavior that is civil and inclusive when interacting with all staff, faculty, students and visitors and promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment.
11. Oversee the office of government and community relations for the College. Attend government and community events and serve on boards and/or committees as needed. Respond or facilitate/co-facilitate responses to inquiries and requests for information from community stakeholders; collaborate with the Office of College Communications to develop accurate, concise, consistent, and cogent responses to requests for information. Ensure President is informed and advised on changes in NYSED; federal, state, and local requirements, issues, legislation, or government direction.
12. Working with College Communications, partner on developing communications strategies and advise on content and tone for staff engaged in writing, reviewing and editing various publications, preparing presentations, and correspondence; participate in identifying courses of action, communications strategies, meetings, and outreach opportunities to assist the President in advancing the college’s agenda and/or communicating the college’s direction. Ensure smooth and timely communication of information to the college and the community about what is happening both on and off campus regarding town-gown relations.
13. Work collaboratively with office staff to ensure the smooth operation of the Office of the President. Supervise staff assigned to the Office of the President; provide guidance and direction on daily work tasks and projects, review completed tasks to ensure compliance with policies and procedures; interview, hire, and train; plan, assign, and direct work; and conduct annual performance reviews.