The Chief Engineer reports to the Property Manager. This position’s primary responsibility is to safeguard the interests of the owners and safety of the residents by maintaining the physical condition of property and equipment according to company guidelines and standards, as well protect the property and equipment from damage, loss, and deterioration. This position assesses and directs the maintenance team and makes recommendations to ownership regarding cost containment and asset preservation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interacts amicably with residents, with a “service-minded” attitude to identify and address needs or concerns regarding the condition of their apartment and building.
- Plans and directs the activities of the maintenance staff, ensuring appropriate and adequate staffing; trains, evaluates, and appropriately uses progressive discipline for direct reports; and conducts timely performance reviews.
- Identifies capital improvements and obtain required estimates and bids; makes recommendations to Property Manager and Corporate Facilities team; and assists in budget preparation for maintenance expenses.
- Ensures routine service requests are completed within 24 hours; follows-up with residents to ensure the service request was completed to their satisfaction.
- Oversees the property’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire systems; and reports deficiencies to Property Manager and Corporate Facilities team; reports life safety hazards to the Property Manager; and reviews monthly utility usage and makes recommendations for the building cost control measures.
- Documents replacement of appliances, carpet, vinyl, water heaters, condensers, etc., in all units; and tracks systems repairs, apartment painting (full paint or touch-up), refrigerator coil cleaning, and carbon monoxide checks, and other major repairs.
- Ensures daily pool/spa inspections are completed (in season) to verify proper water chemistry and cleanliness of pool and spa area, and to identify needed repairs or improvements.
- Ensures that all interior and exterior areas of the property are litter free, clean and presentable.
- Schedules contract vendors to perform apartment turnover services; oversees contract service oversight and professionalism; reports deficiencies or delay in work to the Property Manager.
- Approves the completed work of those preparing a market ready apartment and documents the performance of the “Make Ready/Unit Inspection”.
- Implements and adheres to the Preventive Maintenance Program guidelines by performing an inspection on each apartment at least two (2) times per year and performing routine preventive maintenance of common areas per schedule.
- Adheres to established policies related to the Fair Housing Act; conforms to all Federal, State and local inspections on equipment and systems as required; and follows OSHA, EPA and NFPA guidelines and standards.
- Uses discretion and maintains confidentiality of co-workers, management, owners, past and current residents, vendors, and all outside contacts.
- Maintains consistent and timely attendance, sets an example for their team in punctuality.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma required; Vocational Training Certification and/or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience within a multifamily community, high rise environment, hotel or commercial building.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in leading a team.
- Excellent mechanical and electrical aptitude.
- Previous plumbing, electrical, mechanical, drywall repairs, carpentry, and pool/spa maintenance experience; and HVAC knowledge and EPA certification.
SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; any day of the week, including being “on-call”.
- Ability to write and communicate professionally in English.
- Ability to apply sound decision-making when assisting residents and contractors.
- Ability to resolve residents’ concerns while maintaining a friendly and professional demeanor.
- Ability to demonstrate project management skills to ensure tasks are completed on schedule.
- Ability to communicate professionally and adapt interpersonal skills to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to demonstrate teamwork by assisting co-workers and direct reports.
- Ability to provide coaching to direct reports to develop their knowledge and skillset.
Visit us at https://www.cityclubapartments.com