Don’t just work. Work Happy.
A career in gaming? At Ameristar East Chicago, we think you’ll enjoy an exciting industry, fast-paced days and nights, diverse, enthusiastic co-workers, unlimited growth and support from one of the leaders in the industry.
An individual could be successful if they possess the following.
Your daily responsibilities include:
Provide direct and general supervision to culinary teams of the Stadium Sports Bar and Steakhouse outlets. Direct the daily execution of all assigned kitchen’s food production and service execution while establishing and maintaining standards of operation in the areas of food quality, timeliness of food, cleanliness and maintenance, profitability and supervision of staff; ensure compliance with health department regulations. Position reports to Executive Chef. Supervise Sous Chef, Lead Cook, Specialty Cook, Cook, and Assistant Cook.
- Staff, schedule, evaluate, train, develop and monitor culinary team. Recommend wage increases, promotions, demotions, discipline and other employment actions for team members.
- Understand department objectives, standards, guidelines and budget to achieve effective supervision of department; adjust daily schedule according to business levels.
- Oversee all cooking operations, including methods of preparation, portion control, monitoring timeliness of food delivery and garnishing; ensuring a high quality preparation and attractive presentation of all food to meet corporate standards and policies.
- Observe and monitor staff adherence to health department regulations regarding food handling, storage, temperature, and cleanliness of work environment.
- Assist Executive Chef in developing and implementing department management plans including budgets, labor schedules and systems of accountability.
- Assist Executive Chef in developing and implementing policies, procedures and rules including operations manuals, to promote compliance with company and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure proper communication between front of house and back of house operations while taking ownership of all responsible areas
- Meet daily deadlines of opening, creating, and posting table-talks for specials and produces sample dishes for pre-shifts in a timely manner and reviews nightly special postings, prep level reports, and critical inventory comparisons.
- Ensure periodic quality checks for all products, i.e., temperature checks are conducted.
- Oversee the monitoring of weekly sales and adjusts prep production levels as well as ensuring all food products are ordered to par levels and can make adjustments according to business volumes.
- Open and close work area at scheduled times, ensuring full preparation for operation/function; ensure cleanliness and security of company assets.
- Work with Outlet Manager and kitchen staff to ensure proper food preparation and timing.
- Ensure daily line checks are performed.
- Oversee and ensure all stations are properly stocked and set up.
- Initiate periodic kitchen walkthroughs to ensure quality of food meets corporate specifications and cleanliness standards.
- Oversee and ensure all kitchen equipment and working conditions are well maintained.
- Maintain food and labor costs at the budgetary guidelines while possessing an understanding of costing formulas and yield percentages.
- Ensure accurate inventories and menu item price verification is conducted
- Participate in long range planning including new menus, equipment, budget planning and renovations.
- Research and explain back of the house line item variances for Report of Operations.
- Write and cost recipes while developing a collection of recipes in a recipe book.
- Perform all duties including purchasing and menu changes, in adherence to all corporate specifications and company standards and policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
To be successful in this position it will require the following skill set:
(Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis)
- Excellent food technique and cultural
- Ability to adapt to market conditions and desires with a flexible and creative approach to menu design
- Advanced butchery knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and problem solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer literacy to include Excel Spreadsheet and Word experience
- Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to calculate, analyze and troubleshoot P&L
- Ability to demonstrate expertise in performing all positions within the kitchen
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Degree from certified food service program, apprenticeship, culinary school or equivalent; Minimum of five (5) years previous industry experience, with three(3) years’ experience as a Sous Chef or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Possession of, and ability to obtain and maintain a valid drivers and gaming license within state of Indiana
- Must successfully pass background check
- Must successfully pass drug screening
- Must be 21 years of age
Something to leave you with:
Whether you prefer being at the center of it all or working behind the scenes, there’s a role for you at Penn National Gaming. We are a growing company but as big as we are, we still feel like family. The areas of career opportunity with Penn are ideal for just about any skill set. Our company wide commitment to making sure our guests smile as much as we do means you’ll enjoy a fun working environment anywhere within the organization.
Equal Opportunity Employer