Alter is looking for a full time Class A CDL Driver!
*Drives trucks designed to transport scrap metal to and from specified destinations such as industrial plants, scrap yards, steel mills and foundries. Must be licensed according to state and federal requirements and operate under all local, state and federal requirements.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Comply with all DOT standards and regulations as well as company safety polices/procedures and OSHA guidelines.
- Project a positive company image at all times by acting in a courteous, safe and professional manner and work with co-workers as a team to ensure success.
- Maintain daily pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections including but not limited to: checking tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges and controls; notifies supervisor if any repairs are required.
- Maintain telephone or radio contact with supervisor/dispatch.
- Read route sheets to determine daily schedule and services for each customer.
- Verify loads against shipping papers and prepares receipts, when required, for picked up loads.
- Properly secure loads and assure loads are within with limits. May assist in the loading and unloading of material when required.
- May be assigned to special projects or required to perform other duties not listed above, which may vary from time to time as determined by management, to meet company needs.
- Thorough understanding of DOT rules and regulations and vehicle operations
- Effective verbal communication and public relations skills are required
- Ability to write simple reports and correspondence such as pre-trip and post-trip inspections, accident reports, daily paperwork, etc.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple correspondence and instructions such as daily schedules, company policies and procedures, etc.
- Possess a valid Class A CDL with clean MVR. Must pass a DOT physical including drug screening and background check.
- Minimum of 3 years satisfactory driving experience of Class A vehicles is required.
- High School Diploma, GED, or High School Equivalence Certificate is required.
- Sitting for extended periods with frequent walking, bending, climbing and stretching.
- Manual dexterity/mobility and ability to move 50 pounds.
- Oral communication via phone and in person.
- Vision must be sufficient to perform job functions safely.
- This position may be exposed to inclement weather conditions. Physical hazards are present due to equipment and machinery used throughout the scrap yards and the presence of scrap itself.
We offer health, dental, vision and 401k.
– Company issued uniforms
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.00 – $22.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid training
- Referral program
- Uniform allowance
- Vision insurance
- Home daily
- Monday to Friday
- No nights
- Year round work
- CDL A (Required)
- Medical Card (Required)
Trucking freight handling:
- Drop & hook
Type of Freight:
- Dry Vans
- Dump Trailer
- Manuel transmission
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place