Principal, Assistant Principal, Level Associate Superintendent, Superintendent of Schools
Knowledge of the Instructional Process; knowledge of content, curriculum, methods, materials, and equipment of instructional specialty(ies) to which assigned: knowledge of pre-adolescent and adolescent growth and development; knowledge of Prince William County Curriculum related to assignments and School Division mission, goals, and organization; ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional programs; skill in the use of multi-media and computer technology to enhance learning; ability to plan and implement lessons based on Division and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, peers, administrators, and parents; skill in oral and written communication; excellent human relations skills.
If teaching a foreign language, proficiency in oral and written communications in that language; if teaching choral music, ability to teach through demonstrating singing/choral techniques, proficiency on the piano; if teaching instrumental music classes, proficiency in one or more musical instruments, and the ability to model correct playing techniques in all instruments; for both choral and instrumental music, ability to distinguish pitches and tone quality; if teaching visual art, a personal portfolio demonstrating artistic ability and experience in a variety of media; if teaching in career and technical education, journey-level proficiency in that trade is required with on-the job journey, lead, or supervisory experience desirable.
Possession of a collegiate professional, postgraduate professional, or appropriate vocational certificate/license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia with endorsement(s) required for teaching assignment(s). Must be eligible for the Virginia State Certification Program
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Under general supervision of a principal and/or other designated administrator, plans and implements an instructional program and provides related educational services for students in grades 6-8. Manages student behavior, assesses and evaluates student achievement, and modifies instructional activities, as required; carries out a variety of student monitoring and control activities; performs related duties as required or assigned. Positions covered by this specification serve as general education middle school (6-8) classroom teachers; classes taught may be single or multi-grade level, subject, skill, or specialty oriented. Incumbents usually perform duties within a team or departmental setting, but might work independently in a unique teaching specialty. Some positions are assigned to science labs or industrial arts/technology or other education labs where greater than average monitoring is required to diminish the chance of accidental injury to students.
Budget Responsibilities: None
Employees Supervised: Instructional Assistant, if appropriate
Number of Schools/Departments: One for self-contained teachers and more than one for itinerant teachers
Number of Students: As determined by SOQ staffing standards
- Work collaboratively with all stakeholders in providing a World-Class Education.
- Continually assess student achievement and maintain appropriate assessment and evaluation documentation for institutional and individual reporting purposes.
- Plan and implement appropriate instructional and/or learning strategies and activities, including determination of appropriate kind and level of materials, provide appropriate learning experiences, manage allotted learning time to maximize student achievement, and utilize a variety of instructional materials and available multi-media and computer technology to enhance learning.
- Manage the behavior of learners in an instructional setting to ensure environment is conducive to the learning process, and assist and participate in management of student behavior in other parts of the school, center, school grounds, or work site.
- Coordinate instructional activities with other professional staff, both school and non school-based, as required, to maximize learning opportunities.
- Work in a self-contained, team, departmental, itinerant capacity, or in field or may make off-school site visits to monitor students, confer with employers, or site instructors.
- Participate in in-service and professional development activities and staff meetings, as required or assigned.
- Foster partnerships and ensure continuous communication with parents, both written and oral, to keep them informed of student(s) progress.
- Continually communicate with students on instructional expectations to keep them informed of their progress in meeting those expectations.
- Assign work to and supervise instructional assistants, parent and student volunteers.
- Serve at two or more schools on a regular basis as itinerant.
- Support or participate in schoolwide student activities and social events.
- As assigned or required, monitor student behavior in non-instructional area and intervene to control and modify disruptive behavior, report to appropriate administrator as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other professionals (guidance counselors, librarians, etc.) to carry out schoolwide instructional or related activities as needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.