This is an at-will grant funded staff position.
This position has been deemed essential as addressed in the University of Wyoming’s Employee Handbook. Employees in essential positions may be required to work during emergency closures and winter closure based on the nature of their job duties and the reasons for the closure.
This is an afternoon/evening bus driver position, the working hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Pre-employment drug screening, enrollment in drug and alcohol random testing pool, and review of motor vehicle record history are required.
The University of Wyoming invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives.
Drive a bus or van on regularly scheduled or special assignment runs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely operate UW Transit buses as assigned, on various routes. Collect passenger fares as required.
- Safety inspections of buses to ensure equipment is operating within safe operation parameters. Maintain inventory of first aid and blood borne pathogen kits.
- Maintain current training certifications including CPR, First Aid, TSI and Defensive Driving.
- Assist with shop and bus cleaning duties, maintain bus shelter cleanliness.
- Orient and train new drivers as necessary.
- Provide excellent customer service to all bus passengers, offer assistance and answer questions as required.
- Maintain ridership tally sheets.
- Attention to Detail
- Safety Awareness
- Service Orientation
- Conflict Management
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: 1 year work-related experience including school bus, transit bus, truck driving, or similar commercial driving experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Required education, licensure, certification, registration or other requirement:
- Valid Driver’s License with a motor vehicle record that is compliant with the University Vehicle Use Policy Found at: http://www.uwyo.edu/auxserv/car-rental-services/official-vehicle-policy/ovp.pdf.
- Valid CDL – Class A or B w/air brakes endorsement with a motor vehicle record that is compliant with the University Vehicle Use Policy found at: http://www.uwyo.edu/auxserv/fleet/Official-Vehicle-Policy/OVP.pdf or ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
- Must be able to pass all drug and/or alcohol screening(s) required by the UW Drug and Alcohol Policy http://www.uwyo.edu/tps/_files/drugalcoholpolicy.pdf.
- Passenger “P” endorsement or ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
- First Aid/CPR Training Certification preferred or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- TSI certification preferred or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- Defensive Driving certification preferred or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- Completion of Drug and Alcohol training or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to work as a team member in a professional team environment.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to follow and enforce safety procedures and protocols as directed.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Two or more years bus driving experience.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local rules and regulations pertaining to bus transportation.
- Knowledge and experience of school and/or transit bus operations including but not limited to basic driver operating practices and procedures, mechanical troubleshooting, bus safety, and basic maintenance.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
- Attention to detail with the ability to complete all paperwork legibly, neatly and in a timely manner.
- Experience collecting passenger fares.
- CDL Class A or B w/ Passenger “P” endorsement and Air Brakes endorsement is preferred.
Complete the online application and upload the following for a complete application: cover letter, resume or C.V. and contact information for four work-related references.
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email [email protected]