The Virginia Department of State Police is seeking qualified applicants for a Building & Grounds Supervisor A position in the Property and Finance Division, located in North Chesterfield County. This is a Non-Exempt position; therefore, this position is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Maximizes performance and morale through effective leadership. Supervises assigned staff by establishing priorities, evaluating performance, assessing developmental needs, and correcting substandard performance and discipline issues as they occur. Communicates clearly and concisely with staff, and encourages staff to maintain open communications. Effectively identifies and resolves personnel conflicts. Communicates safety issues with employees to ensure a safe workplace. Continuity of operations is maintained through cross-training and development of current desk procedures.
- Performs carpentry work to construct and repair sheds; walls; small buildings; installs doors; rebuilds rooms; builds cabinets and paints using standard carpentry and painting tools. Estimates and prepairs purchase requests for building materials and paint.
- Supervises tradesmen by training; assigning work; and reviewing and evaluating performance. Plans routine painting and janitorial maintenance; and maintains records.
- Performs and oversees routine plumbing installation and performs plumbing repairs. Uses diagrams and sketches to assist with installation.
- Oversees the daily maintenance operations during the absence of the Building And Grounds Superintendent.
- Provides periodic cross-training for subordinate staff and/or develops desk procedures to ensure continuity of operations.
- Installs and repairs HVAC systems, and performs preventative maintenance on equipment as required. Performs electrical repairs and installation.
- Maintains grounds during weather related emergencies. Responds to emergency call-ins.
- To be on call as scheduled by the supervisor on rotating basis unless changed by supervisor.
- Working knowledge of heating and air conditioning systems which apply to commercial and industrial applications; building trades and use of associated tools; equipment and materials; and supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools; gauges; equipment used in electrical, carpentry, plumbing/steam fitting, and HVAC areas; and in operating a computer with Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise trades workers, carpenters, painters, and general maintenance; to troubleshoot; to test; to diagnose; and to repair a wide variety of electrical, structural, mechanical, plumbing, and HVAC equipment; to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, drawings, specifications, and operating manuals; to instruct and inspect the work of others engaged in trades/utilities work; to respond to emergency calls and take independent action; and to communicate in English with various levels of individuals within and outside of the organization.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Experience in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.
- EPA Approved/Refrigerant Transition & Recovery Certificate (Type I & II).
- Master Mechanic Certification in a skill trade such as HVAC; electrical; and plumbing is preferred.
- HVAC vocational training certification; HVAC control certification; pneumatic controls certification; and boiler safety certification preferred.
- To be on call as scheduled on a rotating basis or as required.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience indicating posssession of the preceding knowledge, skills, and abilities may substitute for this education and experience.
A THOROUGH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WILL BE COMPLETED ON EACH APPLICANT
Elements of the selection process for this position will also include the screening of applications; interviewing of qualified candidates; and salary negotiations. The pre-employment process can take approximately up to three (3) months to complete. The anticipated duration of this process is determined by the successful completion of the above items.
Applicants must live in states east of the Mississippi River. Military applicants must live in or home of record must be in one of the states east of the Mississippi River.
Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms with their state application.
Applications, cover letters, and/or resumes will only be accepted on-line through the Recruitment Management System at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com and must be received by 11:59 P.M. on February 12, 2021. Please limit resumes, cover letters, reference letters and all other attachments to only two (2) pages. Any attachments received in excess of two (2) pages will not be considered. For questions, please contact the Employment Unit of the Human Resources Division at [email protected]
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UPON REQUEST
AMERICORPS, PEACE CORPS, AND OTHER NATIONAL SERVICE ALUMNI ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY