The Coordinator serves as a subordinate to the Project Manager/Superintendent. This position is responsible for the overall management of multiple construction projects including but not limited to the pre-construction phase, construction schedules, project planning, project meetings, project reporting and project close out. The responsibilities are to be performed under a variety of delivery methods, Owner Representative, Construction Manager and/or Design/Build.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Buildings & Grounds Project Manager/Superintendent
Supervision Exercised: None.
POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned. (Anyone position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all duties which may be found in positions of this class.)
- Develop and administer written and oral directives necessary to faithfully execute duties required in an efficient and effective manner
- Consistently apply oral and written directives, policy and ordinances of Weld County and insure subordinates consistently apply them
- Recognize and reinforce exemplary performance and measures taken to improve substandard job performance
- Insure adequate human resources are available for a given task; facilitate effective time management by subordinate personnel and efficient use of overtime; document data related to the completion of projects in a timely manner; exercise sound, independent judgment in decision making.
- Complete and document research as assigned and report findings orally and/or in writing to the Director and/or Board of County Commissioners’
- Prepare effective group presentations to include (Bid Documents or Requests for Proposals) using office automation and technology
- Prepare and review standard forms of agreements and contracts which are subsequently input into database.
- Perform quality assurance functions including, but not limited to, review of the quality, completeness and timeliness of work performed by contractors
- Regularly review monthly reports and insure effective management projects
- Exercise sound, independent judgment
- Coordinate multiple projects at any one time.
- Oversee both direct contractors and suppliers to ensure all projects are completed to plan
- Maintain good relationships with all contractors, sub-contractors, staff, community and county department representatives
- Adhere to safety programs and standards
- Create and oversee a project budget and schedule to ensure milestones are met until project completion date.
- Ensure Quality control is adhered to
- Oversee, respond to RFI’s, change submittals and contractor change orders
- Manage the project and oversee the progress
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing both to individuals and groups
- Develop, justify and document budget requests for areas of responsibility
- Develop or facilitate the development of subordinate training needs and insure the delivery of related training within the assigned areas of responsibility
- Regularly review, control and manage expenditures of approved budget appropriations within the assigned areas of responsibility
- Maintain constructive working relationships with peers, subordinates, superiors, administrative staff and other county departments
- Maintain the trust and confidence of the Superintendent and Director
- Provide meaningful, timely input to the Superintendent Director during the formulation stage of projects, directives or decisions and actively support directives and decisions when implemented
- Facilitate effective communication; investigate complaints on assigned subordinates; evaluate working conditions for safety improvements; investigate and report subordinate on-the-job injuries and damage of county property as necessary.
- Perform job assignments as directed by the Superintendent and Director.
- Possess and maintain certifications required by your specific areas of responsibility
- Operate machinery and tools within the assigned area of responsibility
- May be required to be on-call status during hours other than normal shift hours and perform related work as required.
- Ability to safely operate a vehicle in routine conditions.
- Present and promote a positive image of Weld County in the community
- Provide leadership, quality supervision and effective management
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or equivalent work experience.
Required Work Experience:
- Five years of experience as a Construction Project Manager, Superintendent, and/or Coordinator, with a history of managing a variety of commercial construction projects to include demonstrated experience in managing multiple commercial projects at one time.
May substitute an A.A.S. in related field with 3 to 5 years’ experience or 10 years or more experience as Construction Project Manager, Superintendent, and/or Coordinator.
Additional Required Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License and have a good driving record.
- Must pass, and maintain the ability to pass, a thorough background check at any time during employment with Weld County.
- Required to work in Secure and Non-Secure Detention Facilities.
Other Necessary Requirements
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, memos and reports.
- Ability to write routine reports and simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present and communicate information in one on one and small group situations to citizens and clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to learn and follow safety precautions common to labor positions.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but straight forward written and/or oral instructions.
- Ability to respond to and solve problems involving several concrete variables in standard situations.
- Ability to utilize reference skills to locate accurate information quickly with minimal resource.
- Ability to function independently as well as in a team environment to complete all necessary duties
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Talk, hear, walk and stand on concrete floors with variety of floor coverings and will be required to use multiple flights of stairs between floors, climb/work from ladders.
- Sit for varying periods of time on moving equipment to perform required job functions.
- Frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Required to climb ladders
- Frequently be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions; is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, risk to electrical shock and vibration.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Have correctable vision to see things up close and clearly
Material, Equipment, Machines Directly Used:
- Modern telephone system with voice mail, keyboard, personal computer, cellular telephone, motorized equipment and a motor vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally loud.