General Position Summary:
This position, under the direction of the engineering manager is tasked with maintenance and repair of all building systems, including HVAC, mechanical, electrical, security and plumbing, as well as proper operation of the energy management systems for commercial buildings.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Assist in general maintenance and repair of all building systems, including: lighting repair and replacement, door hardware replacement and adjustments, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and building automated systems controls.
- Perform preventative maintenance under the direction of the Lead Building Engineer for a variety of systems.
- Respond to and handle service requests from tenants in conjunction with company work order system.
- Assist in handling fire and life safety issues.
- Assist in analyzing broken or malfunctioning equipment and researching procurement of replacement parts; repair broken, or malfunctioning building equipment as directed.
- Maintain a safe and clean work area at all times.
- Needs to be on-call after hours.
- Ensure safe conditions in and around buildings at all times including periods of inclement weather.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Note: Skills required vary somewhat by building or property, with larger commercial properties requiring the highest level of technical knowledge and skills. The skills noted below are those generally needed for this position.
- General knowledge of building systems, including HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, security and building automated systems controls.
- Ability to use various hand and power tools appropriately.
- Good communication skills.
- The ability to understand and respond to both verbal and written direction
- Good customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of people and to respond appropriately to customer complaints and requests.
- Ability to deal with interruptions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team situation and to work cooperatively with other staff.
- Creativity to solve new or unique problems.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work according to tenant needs
- Basic Working knowledge of office machines and computer software (Windows, Outlook).
Education and Experience:
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Good knowledge of tools and their uses. Functional understanding of mechanical and electrical systems with a desire to learn more. Vocational training is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job are close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is required to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Schnitzer West is an Equal Opportunity Employer.